AMD vs Intel

Steelshivan

"^^ You're missing the whole point of his point of purchasing a new processor. It's mainly multitasking and some gaming."

If you're talking to me, I figured it was a given that a quad-core was the way to go for multitasking, and was supporting the quad-core for gaming since he will be doing that as well. I was responding to 1-2 people who voted for the E8400.

Read between the lines.

Kewl Munky

If you have a a crappy CPU like a Pentium 4 and a great graphics card like the 9800GX2 you won't be able to play many high end games. Both the CPU and GPU play important roles in a game.

Really, it depends on how much she multi tasks and how much load each application uses. And if you have a shit graphics card, no point in going with a CPU that will completely out do it unless your grandma's multi tasking demands it.

I'd say go with the Q6600 because it's a great quad core for a great price, and you can easily OC it in the future to keep up with future processing power demands.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
...btw, would you (please) define "multitasking"...I assume you don't mean having e-mail and several firefox tabs open at the same time while listening to music?

Steelshivan

No kidding kewl munky, read my post again.

The point is, the Q6600 and E8400 are both easily good enough for gaming. The Q6600 happens to beat the E8400 in multitasking. Odds are both processors are overkill for the OP, as they are for most people, at least at this time. But...they are different processors still.

shenry

I don't have to worry about all the other parts. I have a choice between the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 or the Intel Pentium E2180.

If you only have a choice between those two and your mobo is intel the only option I see fit is the E2180.

If you define multitasking as iTunes, MSN, Firefox/ Internet explorer and Photoshop or less than all that that processor will be perfectly fine!!!

If you want to burn DVD's, play games and render 3d objects at the same time than it will be worth investing in a better processor.