AMD's Zen Vs Intel's i7 Kaby Lake

Arc

Personally I'd choose based on price:performance, not necessarily which one has the absolute greatest chipset or who has the most motherboard features. Seems odd disregarding one whole company due to a chipset being slightly worse - I could understand it if there was a major difference, like one not working with DDR4 or something like that, but for the small things? Nah.

It is not just the chipset. There are two desktop platforms from Intel. I don't see the need for the LGA 2011 and the LGA 1151. I can see the needs for LGA 2011 and two or three chipsets but not eight or nine. Intel never did that before. I hope AMD doesn't do the same thing.

Arc

Then don't buy one. The substantially lower cost of 1151 boards makes a more compelling 'consumerist' value offering.

I hear ya but keep in mind with the Core 2 Quad they had the X38 chipset that was kind of for high-end motherboards and they also had the G 31 chipset for motherboards under $100.00 in fact some were less than $50.00. They didn't have two CPU platforms. That is my only point. Everyone would have to agree in the past they had inexpensive motherboards and hi-end motherboards but they did not have two LGA platforms. The didn't have a separate LGA for the average consumer and seperate LGA for enthusiast. They didn't release higher-end CPUs two years after the the average consumer CPU. Like I stated the consumer motherboards get some of the fancy features before the enthusiast motherboards. I find that odd as do many others. You folks might like that Intel has two LGA platforms but you would have to admit it is not needed. They never did it for the Pentium 2,3,4 or the Core 2 architecture but they still had $85.00 motherboards and $385.00 motherboards. They only reason I think it started with the Core i7 architecture is because the i7 on the 1156 LGA had the PCIE lanes on the CPU while the LGA 1366 did not. We could see the separation of LGA 1366 and LGA 1156 but as of now they could just use the LGA 2011 platform.

Last edited:

Calin

I'm personally waiting for Ryzen aka Zen, I would love to go back to AMD. If it turns out to suck I will wait for Skylake X (X99 successor)

Laquer Head

I'm personally waiting for Ryzen aka Zen, I would love to go back to AMD. If it turns out to suck I will wait for Skylake X (X99 successor)
You have the rig you have in your sig and your legit thinking of going to an AMD machine!!??? WHY

Calin

You have the rig you have in your sig and your legit thinking of going to an AMD machine!!??? WHY
Because why not? I've been an AMD fan for a long time and I would be very happy if Ryzen beats my 6700k by a large margin.

Laquer Head

Because why not? I've been an AMD fan for a long time and I would be very happy if Ryzen beats my 6700k by a large margin.
For the same reason we scoff at most of the stuff you say. You have zero concept of what it's like to work and save for something and many people would kill for the rig that you have, but one more time you make a post about 'upgrading' and 'why not' when you know its mommy and daddy paying for your toys.

You should be ashamed to come on here and talk the way you do to adults that actually have to work for their things and have an actual idea of what the real world is.

Sorry man, but spoiled children like you and your generation are a large part of what wrong with society and the me-first, everyone owes me mentality. It's disgusting really and shame on your family for promoting and supporting this behavior.

Calin

For the same reason we scoff at most of the stuff you say. You have zero concept of what it's like to work and save for something and many people would kill for the rig that you have, but one more time you make a post about 'upgrading' and 'why not' when you know its mommy and daddy paying for your toys.

You should be ashamed to come on here and talk the way you do to adults that actually have to work for their things and have an actual idea of what the real world is.

Sorry man, but spoiled children like you and your generation are a large part of what wrong with society and the me-first, everyone owes me mentality. It's disgusting really and shame on your family for promoting and supporting this behavior.
A lot of people tell me this, not only on this forum. I understand that you have to work for your things but what do you expect me to do? Give up on my rig?

Just get a 6950x and be done with it
That's 1700$ only for the CPU. I doubt that the highest end Ryzen chip + a board would be over 800-900$

Laquer Head

A lot of people tell me this, not only on this forum. I understand that you have to work for your things but what do you expect me to do? Give up on my rig?

That's 1700$ only for the CPU. I doubt that the highest end Ryzen chip + a board would be over 800-900$
I don't personally expect anything of you, but if other people are telling you the same thing perhaps you should take in some of the comments and stop coming off like an entitled brat.

The world doesn't revolve around your gaming computer. Go outside with friends, get active, join a ball team - anything. Based on some of your posts you are in dire need of a social life and exposure to some people that will get you motivated to do more with your young life than playing games, being alone, and being unhealthy.

I'm not saying this to be a prick man, but look how you come across to people - and clearly not just on this forum.

Calin

I don't personally expect anything of you, but if other people are telling you the same thing perhaps you should take in some of the comments and stop coming off like an entitled brat.

The world doesn't revolve around your gaming computer. Go outside with friends, get active, join a ball team - anything. Based on some of your posts you are in dire need of a social life and exposure to some people that will get you motivated to do more with your young life than playing games, being alone, and being unhealthy.

I'm not saying this to be a prick man, but look how you come across to people - and clearly not just on this forum.
Yes, the world clearly doesn't revolve around my PC, but for me my PC is one of the most important things in my life. I do have real life friends, just not as many as other people do.

Laquer Head

Yes, the world clearly doesn't revolve around my PC, but for me my PC is one of the most important things in my life. I do have real life friends, just not as many as other people do.
Having many friends means absolute shit.... what you need is one or two people who are solid as hell, that will always be there no matter what.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to turn this into a 'pick apart Calin' just trying to bring to your attention how you come across to people.

Geoff

VIP Member
What do you do with your friends besides gaming? And to your other post, no one said anything about you "giving up on your rig", but what you have now is fantastic. If your parents are just giving you money, why not use that to get started in another hobby or sport? Go snowboarding, get into photography, join a bowling league, whatever. There is no point in spending all your time and money on a gaming PC.

Laquer Head

What do you do with your friends besides gaming? And to your other post, no one said anything about you "giving up on your rig", but what you have now is fantastic. If your parents are just giving you money, why not use that to get started in another hobby or sport? Go snowboarding, get into photography, join a bowling league, whatever. There is no point in spending all your time and money on a gaming PC.
Agreed..

You know what would be really smart...if your parents give you money and you just start dumping into a high interest saving account, by the time your ready to go to college/university/trade school you'll have a sweet little cushion to sit on that most kids dont.

The PC you have is beyond overkill, upgrading anything on it is purely wasteful.

beers

Staff member
Are you really arguing about dollars trying to sidegrade from your platform to another platform that will give you similar performance, or dropping hundreds of dollars on another 1080 'just to fill a hole'?

You don't give a crap about money now, why are you trying to make an argument about caring?

Calin

Are you really arguing about dollars trying to sidegrade from your platform to another platform that will give you similar performance, or dropping hundreds of dollars on another 1080 'just to fill a hole'?

You don't give a crap about money now, why are you trying to make an argument about caring?
1700$ is a bit extreme. Like I said, I will upgrade only if Ryzen is better by a decent margin than the 6700k, if not, Skylake X it is, but not the top CPU if it will be 1700$

Geoff

VIP Member
1700$ is a bit extreme. Like I said, I will upgrade only if Ryzen is better by a decent margin than the 6700k, if not, Skylake X it is, but not the top CPU if it will be 1700$
How is $1700 extreme, but not having two 1080's or a $1k liquid cooling loop?

Laquer Head

How is $1700 extreme, but not having two 1080's or a $1k liquid cooling loop?
This is just it, where does one draw the line at 'too expensive' when they aren't paying for it and everything to this point has lead us to assume money isn't a factor, as there seems to be an endless parental supply.

beers

Staff member
It looks like you can buy the 7700K and similar at Microcenter now although the improvements are fairly minimal.

I thought the Zen APU with HBM would be pretty spiffy though.