an invalid argument was encountered

Status
Not open for further replies.

ar_the_tech

this is part of Acer's e-recovery. Spybot or spykill or pop up destroyer or annoying-things-be-gone-version-9.2 won't fix the issue. If you simply want to stop the error from popping up, open MSCONFIG - (start > run > msconfig), and disable eragent. This will not solve the cause of the problem. This error can be caused by merging the two silly partitions that Acer ships with. The recovery utility is looking for two partitions (3 including the hidden one), and if they're not there, it complains. Did you use partition magic or something to merge the partitions?

Just disable eragent is msconfig...

~AR

ar_the_tech

Oh look, there's a page two.... sorry....

i found out that it is the e Recovery program that came with my laptop and that it is bringing this error message up because i re-partitioned the hdd into a single c: and this program by default saves its backups to he d:.

anyone know how i can chnge it so it saves it to the c: i hav tried but couldnt do it.
or would it be better to have a bit of my hdd partitioned so i can use the recovery program? - as this should stop th error messages?

thanks

jon

Olive Sandwich

invalid arguement was encountered

Hi all

I bought a new acer, loaded Office, Norton, and Roxio Disc Copier on to my shiny new laptop and after Roxio the evil box started popping up every time i turn on my computer.

in response to the last parts of the conversation below - i checked and all my acer programs are in Acer (C:) (i havent deleted any files pre installed etc.

my IT man says it sounds like a glitch in one of the programs i downloaded

the computer asked me to burn a factory settings default back up disk when i very first turned it on which i did and have now got time on my hands and i want to restore it to factory settings to get rid of this box.

however the computer is not doing anything with this factory settings disk when i put it in. and when i click on acers 'empowering technology - erecovery button which is meant to have a button to click called 'reinstall system' there is nothing there except a little message in red saying 'initialising erecovery somethingerather'
but its initialisizing NOTHING
NOTHing is happening!
No initailisation of NADA

ah dear it is very annoying and i would appreciate advice!

many thanks
yours
Olive Sandwich

Olive Sandwich

hello all again

i didnt see this message from AR before i wrote my mesage -
i think i will diasble eragent now so i dint go crazy
thanks

yantaq

eRagent

as to uninstalling the eRagent, I am not very sure but if the eRaget was preinstalled hidden somewhere, technically you can uninstall it, but you need the utility to do that in Dos mode, i am afraid Acer does't provide it with the machine, only technical support team deals with it. from registry you can not clear all of eRagents components cleanly, so options is return your partion to when you bought it or have eRagent cleard at the service station. good luck!

xichael

The Solution

If eRAgent can't live without a D: partition, then kill eRAgent...
Just disable it running on startup from the System Configuration Utility:
  • In the start menu, click Run
  • Type msconfig
  • Click on the Startup tab
  • Uncheck the eRAgent entry
  • Click OK & restart windows
That worked for me :)

Ajanman

How to resolve Acer eRAgent invalid argument problem

when i turn on my new laptop it brings up an error box (in the blue bar it says eRagent) that says an invalid argument was encountered, i dont think its effecting anything buts its annoying, what should i do to stop it?

thanks

jon

I had the same problem with a customers PC. To solve it, I ran msconfig and unchecked the following two entries:
eRAgent
Alaunch

Unchecking the 'eRAgent' entry only, didn't solve the problem.

Ade

Big Felter

Thanks for this thread! I also recently removed the "silly" acer partition after suffereing with it for a year. FYI for all I used a freeware (for seven days) program that was very easy to use called "bootit-ng". I highly recommend it.

In the post before this one you mentioned that you unchecked Alaunch as well from start up, what is Alaunch?

I am considering going back in and adding a very small partition back to keep these operating as I really don't know what these two programs do.

Regards,
Felter

crismtzcis

Hello,

I just bought one week ago an Acer Aspire One netbook. I get the error message about the eRagent but only on the guest account.

I've tried disabling the eRagent and Alaunch using msconfig, but the issue persists.

Is there any way I can solve this issue without having to create a d hdd

Big Felter

I eventually decided on readjusting the partition size to a very small partition but yeah it is the only way to make that go away, and also allows you to use the tools, which arent so bad, so long as the partition isn't half your HDD.

crismtzcis

thanks Big Felter...ill try doing a partition for a small size of the hdd, hope that solves that annoying error message

thnx again for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.