Android Encryption

Hi,

I purchased a new smartphone a few weeks ago; it runs Android 4.2.2.

I have two questions related to my purchase:

It took me several days to encrypt my phone. Whenever I attempted to encrypt it, my phone just rebooted itself. It took over 50 attempts before my phone encrypted.

Has anyone else had this problem with Android 4.2.2?

Also, now that my phone is encrypted does it remain encrypted while the screen is locked?

Or, after decrypting it after turning it on or rebooting it, does it remain decrypted even after I've locked the screen?

Thanks.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Encryption time is based on two things, the complexity of the algorithm and the hardware's performance. So on my Samsung S5 with a quad core cpu and 2 GB of RAM it usually only takes an hour.

The way encryption works is if you have the encryption turned on the password is to allow you to gain access to the device. It still remains encrypted but you can now have access to do whatever you please. In the event your devices data has been compromised and pulled to another machine the user will not be able to view the data unless he/she processes the encryption key or is able to break the algorithm.

Once you decrypt a device then your data is kept in plain text which means in the event of data compromised then the user will be able to see everything you do.

Encryption time is based on two things, the complexity of the algorithm and the hardware's performance. So on my Samsung S5 with a quad core cpu and 2 GB of RAM it usually only takes an hour.

Thanks, but that's not what I was referring to. What I meant is that my phone wouldn't encrypt. Whenever I asked the phone to encrypt itself, all it did was reboot.

I had to attempt encryption for many days before it finally took. When it did finally take, it only took a minute to encrypt.

Did you have this problem when you tried to encrypt your 4.2.2 system?

Once you decrypt a device then your data is kept in plain text which means in the event of data compromised then the user will be able to see everything you do.

Plain text?! The information is not formatted in any way?

Last edited: