"(Another) Computer-Builder" - PT.2: FINAL SOLICITATION

devries

Ok guys,

I'm the author of the past thread on this subject, and I appreciate everyone's helpful comments in it greatly. So I've considered everyone's advice and I want to get some final input before I bang the gavel and buy the parts.

My budget is around $1500 ($2000 max) and I'm looking for something that will last a long time, work hard and fast, and play games like Starcraft 2 (mainly), Modern Warfare2, and other first-person shooters and stuff for the next few years. Other than that, I'm just looking to use it for internet/music/movies, etc.

Again, I'm asking for some recommendations and critiques concerning whether some things are incomparable with each other, obsolete, poor quality, or just whatever you think would be better. And, if I'm missing anything, please let me know!

(Note: If anything is "deactivated" or "out of stock", I suppose I'll just buy it elsewhere... any recommendations for that too would be helpful!)

Without further ado, here is what I'm looking at:

CASE:
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Model #:pC-K7B

MOBO:

GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
Model #:GA-MA790FXT-UD5P

VIDEO CARD:

ASUS EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
Model #:EAH4890/HTDI/1GD5

CPU:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 140W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ965FBGIBOX
Model #:HDZ965FBGIBOX

HEATSINK:
Scythe SCKTN-3000 92mm Sleeve "KATANA3" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
Model #:SCKTN-3000

PSU:
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supplycompatible with core i7
Model #:OCZ700MXSP

RAM:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
Model #:F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives
Model #:WD1001FALS

CD/DVD WRITER:

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
Model #:AD-7240S-0B

MONITOR:
ASUS VK246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor
Model #:VK246H

KEYBOARD:

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Model #:B2M-00015S

MOUSE:
Microsoft B7G-00004 Black 5 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Laser Mouse 6000
Model #:B7G-00004S

So, I'm looking to use Windows 7 on this and it seems that some people can already buy it... But, I'm told it comes out on October 22nd... What gives?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT!

-D

StrangleHold

Staff member
Last edited:

devries

Thanks for suggestions!

CASE: I really, really don't want a case with any lights on it (except for, like, the little LED lights)... It seems that the one you've recommended has a big blue light on the front...

PSU: It seems that I'm willing to spend and extra $50 bucks on 200 extra mhz... If I were to overclock the 3.4 that I have on my list, what could I overclock it up to? I want it fast.

VIDEO CARD: The one on my list has HDMI, and it is a brand that I know and trust... What difference does using an HDMI cord make? Does it matter? Is 'XFX' a reliable brand? (You can tell I haven't purchased computer parts in years!)

COOLER: The cooler suggested looks good (and I'll heed your suggestion), but is there any reason why I should use the one you suggest over the one I've chosen?

Thanks so far!... any other ideas?

The Chad

VIDEO CARD: The one on my list has HDMI, and it is a brand that I know and trust... What difference does using an HDMI cord make? Does it matter? Is 'XFX' a reliable brand? (You can tell I haven't purchased computer parts in years!)

HDMI cables transport video and sound data, compared to just video. And yes, XFX is a reliable brand and a very good on infact :)

StrangleHold

Staff member
CASE: I really, really don't want a case with any lights on it (except for, like, the little LED lights)... It seems that the one you've recommended has a big blue light on the front...

Thats fine, Lian Li cases are good quality either way.

PSU: It seems that I'm willing to spend and extra $50 bucks on 200 extra mhz... If I were to overclock the 3.4 that I have on my list, what could I overclock it up to? I want it fast.

They are both BE models ( unlocked multipliers) Overall the 955/965 overclock about the same. Average 3.7/3.8 on air. Some even better.

HDMI sends sound. Video quality is the same as of now. XFX is a good reliable brand, been around for years.

devries

WOW! Thanks for all the good suggestions!!!

The memory standard on the motherboard is "DDR3 1666(O.C.)/1333/1066" and the RAM (G. SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ) is "DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)"

One reviewer said this about it:
"The Buggy BIOS' monster is running in the one I got. Only reading my 955BE at 1.61 Ghz's can only get my DDR3 ram to run at 1333... All this after the F6 bios' update. Also manually setting my Gskill DDR3 -1600. The only way I am able to get this thing to work half way decent is with AMD Over Drive download. 11X multi is the most it will let me go running stable."

...are the RAM and MOBO incompatible? If so, any help here?

Also, any info about Windows 7?

THanks guys!

devries

So...

Both the G. Skill F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK and the G. Skill F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ are on the Qualified Vendors List ("factory recommended") for the GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P motherboard listed above...

The specs for the F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ says this:
"Speed: DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cas Latency: 9
Timing:9-9-9-24"

and the specs for the F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK says this:
"Speed: DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Cas Latency: 8
Timing: 8-8-8-21"

Which RAM set is better? Does it matter? Will I notice a difference between the two?

I'll stop pestering you guys soon, I just HATE sending things back if they're incompatible!

THANKS!

Last edited: