Another good ol' computer won't start thread.

mikekelly

Hi,

i recently replaced a dead motherboard in my friends "E-machines" computer, I installed an MSI board last night and took out the old intel one that came with the computer. I then had to re-format his drive and re-install windows which all went fine, i finished off by installing him AVG and a few other apps and then ran msconfig to close down some of the start-up apps and then restarted the machine.

The problem is that the computer wont re-start, it just cut out and the power went dead, I then took the power cable out and put it back in the PSU and re-booted, the machine fires up with the HS fan and PSU fans spinning but just as they are about to spin at full speed and the machine is about to start i.e. something appearing on screen (about 2-3 seconds after switching on) it just cuts out again, this means I can't get to BIOS or anthing close to it, I tested the PSU when I first found it was the MOBO that was the problem and I tested all the other parts and they work fine, I can take the PSU cord out and then go through the whole start-up / cut-out process again but thats all I can do, I am wating on a different PSU cord to test with the computer as its possible the one I have is faulty but in the meantime can anyone else think of what might be the problem or solution?

Mike

specs

2.7ghz celeron
MSI 865GM3
256 DDR400 RAM
350watt PSU

StrangleHold

Staff member
and then ran msconfig to close down some of the start-up apps and then restarted the machine.

The problem is that the computer wont re-start, it just cut out and the power went dead

Sounds like you turned off somehing in msconfig you should have not, try starting in safe mode and uncheck everything that you checked and see if it will boot

mikekelly

StrangleHold said:
and then ran msconfig to close down some of the start-up apps and then restarted the machine.

The problem is that the computer wont re-start, it just cut out and the power went dead

Sounds like you turned off somehing in msconfig you should have not, try starting in safe mode and uncheck everything that you checked and see if it will boot

Sorry but I dont even get my mobo boot screen, this thing dosent stay on long enough for me to do anything, its almost like a safety feature that makes it cut out, I have checked the temps on the CPU and its really cool, the rest of the computer is pretty cool too, there is no heat on the PSU either and I would say it ran solid for about 4 hours then I did 3-4 restarts after installing software and then it wouldnt work after the final restart.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

mike

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
StrangleHold said:
Theres nothing in msconfig that would stop the computer from booting

mikekelly

I tried resetting the BIOS not long after it happened but to no avail. I think either the Mobo is shorting although I have it raised properly there maybe a screw stuck down the back off it or something or it is a faulty PSU or power cord.

If anyone else wants to add anyhting worth trying then feel free, I will have another look at it once I get home and I will let you know.

Mike

OvenMaster

VIP Member
My very first thought here is that the PSU is faulty and is destroying any motherboard connected to it upon supplying power.
Tom

ramdge

I had something similiar to this happen but I don't
remember exactly what I did to fix it.

I know that I tried another power supply and it
didn't work.

The emachine power supply destroying the motherboard
could of happened but you would think that if it had
a problem it would of destroyed the board when you
first turned it on not after you went through the whole
install of windows.

I would reseat all of the individual components. Start with
the power supply (unplug and replug) then the memory
then the pci cards etc. Do them one at a time and
test.

Good luck.

Jerkstore

I'd test out the power supply, or go to your local shop and get them to plug in a new one and see what goes. Often, the emachines power supplies are powerful enough to run the default components of the machine, so adding anything and increasing your power demand will often stop the machine from booting. The power supply might be running ok, however it may just not have enough juice to boot anymore (specially if it's old)

If nothing is booting at all, then the p/s is the first thing I'd check.

Otherwise, make sure all your IDE cables are plugged in properly (ie. pin 1 on the board goes to pin 1 on the drive). Make sure everything is connected securely and nothing is loose. Test the CMOS battery (touch it to your tongue...it should have enough juice to give a decent tingle, if not, replace it). Make sure you also have all your jumpers set properly and all your drives work like they should. I have had machines refuse to boot because the CD-ROM was messed up, removed it and everything worked fine.

Keep in mind, your machine should still give you POST if you don't have any HDD's or Optical drives connected to it...it just won't boot into windows.

Good luck, hope this helped a bit.

mikekelly

Hi,

Thanks to all for your replies, they are much appreciated. I have tried a few things like removing the CMOS battery totally and unplugging and replugging all leads all to no avail, I then took the PSU from my own computer and try to boot with just the main power to the board with the CPU and RAM installed and all I got was the PSU fan spinning and the CPU fan spinning but then just fading out, I tried again and got the same again.

Do you think what was the existing PSU could be the fault and is damaging the board at the same time? bearing in mind that I have a new Mobo that doesnt seem to work now either after being part of the rig, I tried the CPU a week ago with another SKT478 setup and it ran fine.

I said I would do this for a guy at work as a favour and now its a real big pain, I all ready got the money off him for one Mobo and now it looks like he needs a new one plus a new power supply.

Any further ideas?

Mike

Jerkstore

Take it to a local shop that you trust who have the resources and tools to test all the components.
Have you tried using different RAM at all?
The only things you need plugged to the board to get POST should be RAM, CPU, Video and Power. What kind of power supply are you using? (Wattage and Amperage on the 12v rails)
What components are you running in this machine? (ie. Video card, sound card, any extra peripherals that use the power supply.

You sure it's not just your video that's messed up?