Another Novice Question (LAN)

Y2KEDDIE

In a LAN what limits the number of users? I know each computer in my office has an IP address, and each computer plugs into a single router with its own IP address. The router here has 48 ports. Obviously I could plug 48 devices into the ports, but am I limited by bandwidth, number of available IP addresses, and/or physical ports? Can I add more ports by just plugging another router into one of the ports? I’m thinking there’s a bandwidth issue because when I have visitors using the spare ports my internet search speed decreases.

In actuality, I have two networks. It appears one group plugs in router A, and the other into Router B. The two routers plug into a switch, which plugs into another Router to a leased line.

I’m guessing the IP addresses and subnet addresses separate the networks? This was set up by someone else, and I’ve already told you more than I know! Can you explain?

beers

Staff member
Depends on the subnet. If you can route multiplle subnets then there are 16 million IPs in a 10/8 private range alone.

Most home environments have a /24 by default which can theoretically address 254 usable IPs. As you have stated, there are also elements of external capacity planning depending on your use case as well as requirements.

It sounds like your setup could use a redesign depending on what your business requirement is. A lot of businesses tie all WAN type of circuits out to an edge so you wouldn't have to manually move over to access another leased line.

Y2KEDDIE

Depends on the subnet. If you can route multiplle subnets then there are 16 million IPs in a 10/8 private range alone.

Most home environments have a /24 by default which can theoretically address 254 usable IPs. As you have stated, there are also elements of external capacity planning depending on your use case as well as requirements.

It sounds like your setup could use a redesign depending on what your business requirement is. A lot of businesses tie all WAN type of circuits out to an edge so you wouldn't have to manually move over to access another leased line.

Your answer is a little above my head, could you answer a little more simply for me?

I'm asking; do the routers separate the networks by allowing only certain IP address through? I think we use a range of I/P addresses 0-100.

beers

Staff member
I'm asking; do the routers separate the networks by allowing only certain IP address through? I think we use a range of I/P addresses 0-100.
Routers join networks.
Switches join hosts in a network.

You probably have a DHCP scope limit which will only give out 100 dynamic addresses, any subnet under /25 in size is also not large enough to contain over 100 hosts.