Antec 900 Fan Placement & CPU Paste Questions

Kornowski

VIP Member
I'm getting it very soon, and was wondering what the best arrangment for the fans would be?

I was thinking, having both the front 120mm fans in the top 6 bays and my DVD Drive at the bottom... and one 120mm on the side...

Does that sound Ok?

Also, what would be the best setting to have the fans on? Low, Medium or High?
Much difference?

I know that you can also put another 120mm fan behind one of the front 120mm fans, would that be a good idea?

and, lastyl :p Is it Ok to remove AS5 with alcohol wipes, for the HSF and CPU?

Thanks ;)

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
For the thermal paste, yeah i think alcohol wipes or rubbing alcohol is best.. do you even need to remove you heatsink to change cases, since your paste has settled?

Dazzeerr

Fresh paste, fresh case. xD Sounds good

Do what seems most logical for air flow with the fans, it will probably be right afterall. :D

Just make sure you have atleast one exhaust lol

Kornowski

VIP Member
Yeah, I can't wait to get it! ;)

Yeah, I think having the fans at the top would be a good idea... What about the side fan though, worth it?

Archangel

VIP Member
I suppose that depends on what cpu cooler you have I think. I mean, I use the stock cooler, and have a fan in the sidepanel blowing air right on top of the cooler, works like a peach (3*C difference in temp when i have the fan on or off :) )

Kornowski

VIP Member
Thanks for the info :)

I've got the Arcitic Cooler 7 Pro, so I guess I should have the 120mm fans at the top?

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Found a picture of my MOBO in an Antec 900, it looks TINY! :eek:

DSC04260.jpg

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Andybody else think that my MOBO looks really small in there?

You have more room than me, that's for sure. Maybe my motherboard is wider. Antec has made some revisions to the 900 since I bought mine. It's possible they lengthened the case a little...

Kornowski

VIP Member
Possibly... I'm not sure?

I guess it's a good thing that it's small, like you said, more room ;)

You know there's another clip that you can attatch another 120mm fan on, by the HDD's, would it be worth putting one on there?

Is there much difference between Low and Medium settings for the fans, temp wise?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
You know there's another clip that you can attatch another 120mm fan on, by the HDD's, would it be worth putting one on there?

If you have room (for your GFX card), you should try it out. Worth it? I dunno.

Is there much difference between Low and Medium settings for the fans, temp wise?

No, I don't think so. Recently I turned my fans down from med to low and didn't notice a dramatic temp increase, if any. I think I have all fans, with exception to the top 20cm (med), on low. My HSF remains at 100%, though. BTW, use the side panel fan. ;)

Kornowski

VIP Member
If you have room (for your GFX card), you should try it out. Worth it? I dunno.

No, I don't think so. Recently I turned my fans down from med to low and didn't notice a dramatic temp increase, if any. I think I have all fans, with exception to the top 20cm (med), on low. My HSF remains at 100%, though. BTW, use the side panel fan. ;)

Yeah, I guess I could just give it a go... I'll have to get my hands on another 120mm blue LED fan...

Hmm, I'll just give them all a go then! :p Try each setting out...

Side fan, help much?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Side fan, help much?

Archangel mentioned that having the side fan blow onto your HSF would help reduce your CPU temps. I agree. In my case, I found that the side panel fan helped reduce the temps on the Ultras and the northbridge.