Anti-static precautions?...

PMarge

What anti-static precautions should I take when building my new computer this weekend? Is there a need to get an anti-static band or is it recommended?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Don't build on the carpet and ground yourself to your case before you touch anything.

spirit

Staff member
Plug the PC into power, make sure the power is turned OFF at the wall, touch a part of the case that is bare shiny metal (a screw usually works) and then you are done. Try not to move around too much as you will build up charge again. To ground yourself again, just touch the same screw or bare metal part of the chassis you touched before. The earth is always active regardless of power switch on wall or PC.

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I know. The case needs to be grounded before it will have any effect, so you need to plug the power supply into the mains, turn it off, then touch a bare metal part of the case. Otherwise the case won't be grounded and nor will you if you touch it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Being plugged into a grounded outlet has nothing to do with it... Ever walked across carpet and built up static electricity and then touch something metal and get shocked? That means you have been discharged. You don't need to plug it in, just touch the metal part of the case before touching any electronic parts...

However, of all the systems i've built, i've never done this and have never killed any components. But if you walk across carpet, you better take the precaution and touch the metal of the case.

Okedokey

You do need it to be plugged in. Most surfaces that are conductive around your house are fairly earthed already, however its best to plug the power cord into the computer and the wall, turn the switch off at the psu and wall.

Motoxrdude

You don't have to have the computer plugged in. Static electricity is just the difference in electric potential between two objects. As long as you have a like charge with the computer case you will be OK. You could have 17k V static buildup but as long as the computer has the same charge, you wouldnt damage anything. Simply touching the case is sufficient to avoid static discharge.

With that being said, static electricity isn't a huge problem when building a computer. Most electronics are built with dissipative materials and TSVs so the danger of actually destroying something is pretty slim. I'm not saying totally ignore static electricity, but it's not a major issue.

Last edited:

gigabiteme

power does not have to be plugged in/ just touch any part of the steel computer case/ you r grounded to the case itself- not you whole house
or neighbourhood power mains- just by walking across a carpet u build up to 15000 volts- <--.00005 amps or less- that discharge can blow computer components ,so just touch the case/ i usuall have my elbow or bare skin touch at all times.any doubt get a strap

Okedokey

If the case isn't grounded, it doesn't matter how many times you touch it.

ESD Association standard ANSI EOS/ESD 6.1—Grounding recommends ... to connect the common point ground to the equipment ground or the third (green) wire electrical ground connection. This is the preferred ground connection because all electrical equipment at the workstation is already connected to this ground. Connecting the ESD control materials or equipment to the equipment ground brings all components of the workstation to the same electrical potential. If a soldering iron used to repair an ESDS item were connected to the electrical ground and the surface containing the ESDS item were connected to an auxiliary ground, a difference in electrical potential could exist between the iron and the ESDS item. This difference in potential could cause damage to the item.

Any auxiliary grounds (water pipe, building frame, ground stake) present and used at the workstation must be bonded to the equipment ground to minimize differences in potential between the two grounds.

Basically, to the OP, put simply, keep the pc plugged in, with PSU and wall swtich off, and touch the chassis before anything else.

I agree with the others though, not a bit issue anymore. But given how easy it is to keep it plugged in (and off), worth the precaution.

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

It doesn't need to be grounded. Your computer could be grounded all day long but if you build up a static charge there is going to be a potential difference.

Basically, to the OP, put simply, keep the pc plugged in, with PSU and wall swtich off, and touch the chassis before anything else.

I agree with the others though, not a bit issue anymore. But given how easy it is to keep it plugged in (and off), worth the precaution.

This only works if the person is grounded as well. If the two objects (you and the computer) have a common ground then you will always be at the same charge. If you only ground the computer you are no better off.

Last edited:

Okedokey

It doesn't need to be grounded. Your computer could be grounded all day long but if you build up a static charge there is going to be a potential difference.

You're missing the point. Everything will be at a relatively different voltage. By having a single earth point on the chassis, it neutralises and discharges the voltages to the same as the components that you're working on (by touching the chassis).

This only works if the person is grounded as well. If the two objects (you and the computer) have a common ground then you will always be at the same charge. If you only ground the computer you are no better off.

Thats why you touch the chassis (which is now the same potential as the components = earthed) ;) Which is the same as the 'person' being grounded.

If you don't earth the chassis, and touch it with static charge, you're actually discharging the static into the components (if you discharge it at all). This is the whole point of an earth.

But of course, if im wrong, my 5 year avionic engineering degree is wrong and the professional associations are wrong, i apologise.

The point is that this is a low risk but its very easy to keep the pc plugged in, earthed, and make sure you touch the chassis.

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

You're missing the point. Everything will be at a relatively different voltage. By having a single earth point on the chassis, it neutralises and discharges the voltages to the same as the components that you're working on (by touching the chassis).

The principle of ESD doesn't change because of experience lol. But with that said im an avionics technician as well.

Thats why you touch the chassis (which is now the same potential as the components = earthed) ;)

If you don't earth the chassis, and touch it with static charge, you're actually discharging the static into the components (if you discharge it at all).

Yes, exactly. Now you and the computer have the same charge, aka zero voltage potential and there is no chance for ESD. What you fail to realize is that you could have an astronomical electrostatic charge, but as long as it's the same charge as the computer itself there is no risk of ESD.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Yes, exactly. Now you and the computer have the same charge, aka zero voltage potential and there is no chance for ESD. What you fail to realize is that you could have an astronomical electrostatic charge, but as long as it's the same charge as the computer itself there is no risk of ESD.

You're talking theoretical, of course if there is no potential difference you don't have an issue, but it is virtually impossible to forsee a random (uncontrolled) situation where that would exist in the real world. What you're failing to recognise is that unless the computer is cruising around on the carpet, wearing clothing and its own pink velvet love making suit, you're always going to have a difference in potential energy between you and it. And unless that potential has somewhere to go (ie a case insulated is not a circuit), you have an issue because ICs and capacitors react differently to a metal case.

Thats why you ground it, and touch the chassis. you have a central reference point, (ground) and you control your actions.

Last edited:

Motoxrdude

You're talking theoretical, of course if there is no potential difference you don't have an issue, but it is virtually impossible to forsee a random (uncontrolled) situation where that would exist in the real world. What you're failing to recognise is that unless the computer is cruising around on the carpet, wearing clothing and its own pink velvet love making suit, you're always going to have a difference in potential energy.

Thats why you ground it, and touch the chassis. you have a central reference point, (ground) and you control your actions.

Right, I see what your saying. But whats the difference between touching an un-grounded and grounded case? Doesn't it achieve the same thing?

Btw i'm an A&P, FAA and FCC certified avionics technician as well :good:

Okedokey

The difference is the components can be charged (capacitance, inductance etc) and it will all be at that +ve charge when unearthed.

You have a seperate charge and different potential (electrons picked up from materials).

You touch the chassis (unearthed) and you will dump that voltage into any available circuits with resitance/inductance until that charge is at quiescence.

You touch an earthed chassis and it will go straight to earth (path of least resistance) thereby protecting/bypassing your circuits.

Its good to see you're quals bro, i was an avionic engineer rather than a tech with the airforce.

Last edited: