Anti Virus for new Laptop ?

Stattovic

I am purchasing a new laptop tomorrow.

Can someone recommend the best not too expensive anti visus, there are so many please.

_Pete_

If it has Windows 10 on it it comes with a perfectly good antivirus as part of the OS. It's called Windows Defender.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Free Avast works well. I wouldn't use Windows Defender though. It's not ranked very well. And does windows defender update virus definitions once a month compared to Avast does it multiple times a day usually?

Darren

Staff member
Free Avast works well. I wouldn't use Windows Defender though. It's not ranked very well. And does windows defender update virus definitions once a month compared to Avast does it multiple times a day usually?
Where on earth did you get that idea? My Defender updates daily. My last update was not even 5 hours ago. Defender is fine, if you want anything extra just get Avast for a more in your face experience. I prefer Defender since I never have to touch it or see it, Avast won't leave you the hell alone.

As of April 2018 it's ranked up there with the rest of the best ones.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/april-2018/

_Pete_

Yes I would suggest you get your head out the clouds and read some "up to date reviews." Windows defender is as good as any of the other junk out there, as you well know. It's free, updates itself automatically and runs itself automatically although I would recomend you do an occasional manual scan. McAfee is only a thirty day free trial so use it if you want for that period then delete it or pay for it, your choice. I wouldn't pay for any anti-virus or anti-malware program they just are not good enough so, therefore, not worth the money in my opinion.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Hey everyone, show John some respect.

Defender is not rated horribly as it used to but I will still say many other AV's do out rank it.

From my "up to date reading" on defender it has vastly improved over the years but still shows the strongest results when using *only* M$ products like M$ Edge. When starting to use some 3rd party products on your PC like a browser such as Google Chrome of Firefox you see a bit of decline in the detection.

Personally I recommend ESET as I deployed that some years ago in my enterprise and have not seen a virus get past it yet. A good free AV that provides true active protection is Sophos Home.