Anti virus software, is it a virus?

ken1mod

Gentlemen,

Like almost everyone, I was scared into using anti virus software. I used McAffee, Norton and AVG. I have found all of these to be intrusive, I am now scanning your computer, Denying of service, I am slowing your computer down to check everything you do. More intrusive, are you sure you want to visit this site?, and just annoying.

At least Norton allows one to turn it off easily. McAffee is almost impossible to turn off when not wanted. McAffee slowed my computer to the point of unusability. Are these not the things "viruses" do?
I stopped using anti virus software 2 years ago and have had no issues with viruses. I use my machine every day extensively and surf with abandon.

My thought is that these companies are horribly exagggerating the threat (swine flu?) to scare us into buying their software which I believe is useless. I have had the occasional virus when "protected" by all three of the major brands I have mentioned. I have had no more running completely naked.

A/V software is a scam. It appears to be written to "pat itself on the back" while doing little to protect anything.

Am I nuts?

Ken

E Money

A/V software is a scam?? LOLs!!! Your nuts!!

I'm a networking major but i have some scripting friends that destroy machines for fun. They use the phrase ' Do you really deserve your computer? ' to justify their actions.

If you want to look up a real scam on a virus look up the patents for AIDs and also the patent on the CURE for aids. Now there is a scam...

ken1mod

Sir,

How do you explain my completely successful operation without a/v software.

I truly have had zero problems. No kidding. Really.

I believe that the a/v functions of that software are now included in Windows, the ISP and the browser.

I had no beefs with a/v software but it seems to slow the computer down significantly and is intrusive.

Ken

E Money

Sir,
I believe that the a/v functions of that software are now included in Windows, the ISP and the browser.

Ken

Right but as you just said those are A/V properties. They come with the program such as your browser as you just mentioned. If you're asking if you need a third party A/V on top of the little bit of protection you get from your browser then that is different. It really depends on what you use your computer for.
I personally find that Norton, Mcfee etc is just doing too much. I like to use free A/V along with programs like spybot, malware, etc.

If your worried about speed you could get a router firewall instead of getting it on your comp.

ken1mod

Sir,

Can you recommend an a/v product that is not intrusive or service denying?

What I think has happened is that a/v services have been taken up by windows, isps and browsers. The a/v companies seem to be doing too much just to say they are doing anything. Its like they are trying to terrify us with a minimal threat.

I can truly say that I have had no problems running naked.

ken

E Money

http://www.computerforum.com/6960-freeware-list.html
Take your pick. I personally use Avast.

You should look into a program like Glary Utility to help speed up your computer, along with a third party Defragmentation program. I use Auslogics Disk Defrag but they have some other ones on that page I linked you too.
You should use them at least once a week...

Barker

Gentlemen,

Like almost everyone, I was scared into using anti virus software. I used McAffee, Norton and AVG. I have found all of these to be intrusive, I am now scanning your computer, Denying of service, I am slowing your computer down to check everything you do. More intrusive, are you sure you want to visit this site?, and just annoying.

At least Norton allows one to turn it off easily. McAffee is almost impossible to turn off when not wanted. McAffee slowed my computer to the point of unusability. Are these not the things "viruses" do?
I stopped using anti virus software 2 years ago and have had no issues with viruses. I use my machine every day extensively and surf with abandon.

My thought is that these companies are horribly exagggerating the threat (swine flu?) to scare us into buying their software which I believe is useless. I have had the occasional virus when "protected" by all three of the major brands I have mentioned. I have had no more running completely naked.

A/V software is a scam. It appears to be written to "pat itself on the back" while doing little to protect anything.

Am I nuts?

Ken

I'll agree on McAfee, but other than that, (excuse the language)
Lay off the crack-pipe and try Avast!

TFT

VIP Member
@ken1mod
Just lay off the crack-pipe full stop. Is the Security Section full of fairy glitter and it's my imagination that those people who posted have infections.

adampaulson

Gentlemen,

Am I nuts?

Ken

i agree with you friend that most of viruses are products of antivirus companies.. they do that because they want some exclusive features in there anti virus...

88Jonsson

Sir,

Can you recommend an a/v product that is not intrusive or service denying?

What I think has happened is that a/v services have been taken up by windows, isps and browsers. The a/v companies seem to be doing too much just to say they are doing anything. Its like they are trying to terrify us with a minimal threat.

I can truly say that I have had no problems running naked.

ken

If by running naked you mean running with no AV I wouldn't advise this. Thousands of viruses are made everyday and your computer would be toast in no time. Most AV take up windows resources because they run real time protection, and are running all the time in order to keep you protected.

88Jonsson

Sir,

How do you explain my completely successful operation without a/v software.

I truly have had zero problems. No kidding. Really.

I had no beefs with a/v software but it seems to slow the computer down significantly and is intrusive.

Ken

I am pretty sure that one of these days it will catch up to you, but to each his own. I would at least take E Money's advice and get a router firewall.

jackbency

Computer viruses range from annoying and harmless, to extremely dangerous and destructive. The most common way for computer viruses to spread to other computers is through email. I use Avast Anti-virus because It is easy for use, efficient in viruses detection , Unintrusive and Apparently effective.

MyCattMaxx

ken1mod, You must have a crappy computer if AVG was slowing you down. I used to use it but now I use something else.
Like most sane people I use AV. But I am cautious where I go and what I dl.

deanj20

I don't use an antivirus program. Of course, I do recommend that less 'savvy' users do. I like AVG Free. Never tried Avast.

You're right about them being a 'resource hog' and intrusive. I guess I do have a 'crappy' computer (756MHz P3 lappy@384 MB RAM) but it's all I can afford right now since my old bad-ass lappy died. (my fan went out and the replacement fan wouldn't work either, so I sold it on craigslist for $50 - in retrospect, I guess the replacement could have been DOA or whatever you folks call it)

Anyway, I haven't used an AV in around five years and I've never had a problem.

If you do not download and run programs that you do not know to be virus-free, and if you keep your browsers updated and stay away from sites that may attempt to exploit vulnerabilities, then you most likely will never get a virus. (or malware for that matter).