Anti-virus software

Hey guys I am looking for a 100% free new anti-virus software what do you guys use and recommend? I look forward to hearing from you thanks Gabe.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Avast free, do a custom install though. There is only 3 things you need checked.

Agent Smith

I've used Bitdefender Free. It's lightweight and cloud-based. You just install and that's it. Avast will slow your Internet connection down. I've noticed that with each install, although it's been years since I used it. To those that will defend their use of Avast, go over to speedetest.net and do a speed test. Now completely uninstall Avast and run another speedtest and you'll see what I mean. Plus, I have seen Avast mess up the TCP/IP stack and had to help someone on another forum with that issue related to Avast. Avast is just too bloated. Why have to disable crap? If you use Bitdefender Free, there's no disabling this or that module.

I should let you know that no definition-based anti-virus will block polymorphic malware like ransomware. I would at least use Sandboxie for your browser in addition an anti-virus. I would also scan all downloads at Virus Total.

_Kyle_

The best antivirus protection is common sense. I use Avast on my desktop though just in case.

JLuchinski

I've used Bitdefender Free. It's lightweight and cloud-based. You just install and that's it. Avast will slow your Internet connection down. I've noticed that with each install, although it's been years since I used it. To those that will defend their use of Avast, go over to speedetest.net and do a speed test. Now completely uninstall Avast and run another speedtest and you'll see what I mean. Plus, I have seen Avast mess up the TCP/IP stack and had to help someone on another forum with that issue related to Avast. Avast is just too bloated. Why have to disable crap? If you use Bitdefender Free, there's no disabling this or that module.

I should let you know that no definition-based anti-virus will block polymorphic malware like ransomware. I would at least use Sandboxie for your browser in addition an anti-virus. I would also scan all downloads at Virus Total.
Holy cow, I uninstalled Avast and did speedtest and get around 14mbps more, thanks for the info. System also seems more responsive.

Agent Smith

Interesting that after all these years they still have a shit product. Sorry to pounce on one's anti-virus solution, but it's true. You're really better off with Bitdefender Free or Immunet if you need access to debugging. Allowing debugging in Winblows can cause issues in the malware Dept.