AntiVirus Software and a Firewall

newguy5

do you have files on your primary hard drive that you don't want to lose? sounds like the time for a reformat if you ask me. it would be like 100 million times less stress than to be messing with this and possibly never get it solved.

Punk

Staff member
do you have files on your primary hard drive that you don't want to lose? sounds like the time for a reformat if you ask me. it would be like 100 million times less stress than to be messing with this and possibly never get it solved.

Another one... No it is not "time" to reformat just because he got a few trojans... His computer is already running better.

It WILL get solved trust me, this is not a big infection. I think he'll be patient enough to solve this problem with me ;)

ranzy

i keep getting this pop up in bottom right of screen saying:

something about a spyware and i need to install antivirus then when i click it just opens millions of IE's

the combofix log is 265609 characters:S

WhiteFireDragon

from screen shots, i can tell that you have a certain malware that spreads like crazy. those two icons that says "windows update" and "help and support center" are fake. never click on those. you won't be able to just move it to your recyle bin either because the virus/malware already installed files for instructions to reinstall those two icons again. this malware/virus is hard to be completely removed by any spayware or anitvirus scanner because your scanners will clean up only some of the things it has already installed or changed in the registry. after all those things gets deleted or fixed from you antivirus, those few traces that your scanner did not pick up will again multiply. and you're pretty much back in step one, and it's only a matter of time.

the best way is to go to manually go into the registry and delete some of the main keys of the malware. i forgot exactly which one it is but i'll let you know after i get home later tonight. i once had this problem too and it was really hard to fix running on the same drive it was infected on because it will keep reinstalling iteself really fast. but luckily, my computer is dual boot off two separate hard drives and i booted from the drive that was not infected so fix the other one. for now, you can temporarily alleviate your pop ups by going to safe mode and delete ALL your cookies. they are located in C:\documents and settings\"users name"\cookies. all those files should have a .txt next to them. then run any spyware scanners or antiviruses you have. go to the msconfig (start -> run -> msconfig) and uncheck any processes in the startup you know for sure you didn't install youself. i'll get back to you later on all this....

Punk

Staff member
Hello WhiteFireDragon.

Thanks for your help, can you tell me what's the name of that infection and what lines shows it? I'll be thankful if you could show what I've forgotten in the log :)

Thanks for your help :)

Punk

Staff member
Ok I had a look at combofix. The temp folder is infected.

Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(Drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix)

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
  • Restart your computer
  • After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
  • Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
  • Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
  • Choose your usual account.
  • Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
  • Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
  • It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
  • Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
  • When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
  • Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt
    (Report.txt will also be copied to Clipboard ready for posting back on the forum).
  • Finally paste the contents of the Report.txt back on the forum with a new HijackThis log

Last edited:

ranzy

SDFix: Version 1.133

Run by Steve on 29/01/2008 at 21:53

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Running From: C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\Desktop\SDFix

Safe Mode:
Checking Services:

Name:
retx2

Path:

retx2 - Deleted

Restoring Windows Registry Values
Restoring Windows Default Hosts File

Rebooting...

Normal Mode:
Checking Files:

Trojan Files Found:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\FTPUPD.EXE - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TASKKILL.EXE - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SP32.XML - Deleted
C:\137699~1 - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFTP1944 - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFTP2332 - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFTP2760 - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFTP2868 - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\TFTP3012 - Deleted
C:\t.rar - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\retx2.sys - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntos.exe - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsnpoem\audio.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsnpoem\video.dll - Deleted

Folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsnpoem - Removed

Removing Temp Files...

ADS Check:

(dno why its not finished:S)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 16:37:14, on 30/01/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16574)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://uk.red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/btyahoo/defaults/su/*http://uk.search.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://uk.red.clientapps.yahoo.com/...b/*http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/info/bt_side.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://uk.red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/btyahoo/defaults/sp/*http://uk.search.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1;*.local
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn2\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HTpatch] C:\WINDOWS\htpatch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VCSPlayer] "C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcsplay.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ulead Photo Express Calendar Checker] C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 5 SE\calcheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /installquiet
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLSTATEXE] C:\Program Files\BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslstat.exe icon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DSLAGENTEXE] C:\Program Files\BT Voyager 105 ADSL Modem\dslagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ACTIVBOARD] C:\Apps\ActivBoard\MMKeybd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCPitStopEraser] C:\Program Files\PCPitstop\Erase\PCPitStopErase.exe /remindme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [a-squared] "C:\Program Files\a-squared Anti-Malware\a2guard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BearShare] "C:\Program Files\BearShare\BearShare.exe" /pause
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [4oD] "C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KHost.exe" -all
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [btbb_wcm_McciTrayApp] C:\Program Files\btbb_wcm\McciTrayApp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\BTHOME~1\Help\SMARTB~1\BTHelpNotifier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PWRISOVM.EXE] C:\Program Files\PowerISO\PWRISOVM.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSDisp32] rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\drvcov.dll,startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LogitechSoftwareUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Update Service] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Teknum Systems\update.exe" /startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [kdx] C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KHost.exe -all
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BitTorrent] "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe" --force_start_minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: BT Broadband Desktop Help.lnk = C:\Program Files\BT Home Hub\Help\bin\matcli.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: PokerStars - {3AD14F0C-ED16-4e43-B6D8-661B03F6A1EF} - C:\Program Files\PokerStars\PokerStarsUpdate.exe
O9 - Extra button: BT Yahoo! Services - {5BAB4B5B-68BC-4B02-94D6-2FC0DE4A7897} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\yiesrvc.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {00B71CFB-6864-4346-A978-C0A14556272C} (Checkers Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/msgrchkr.cab31267.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {215B8138-A3CF-44C5-803F-8226143CFC0A} (Trend Micro ActiveX Scan Agent 6.5) - http://eu-housecall.trendmicro-europe.com/housecall/applet/html/native/x86/win32/activex/hcImpl.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {5ED80217-570B-4DA9-BF44-BE107C0EC166} (Windows Live Safety Center Base Module) - http://scan.safety.live.com/resource/download/scanner/en-us/wlscbase7617.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1169674345203
O16 - DPF: {8E0D4DE5-3180-4024-A327-4DFAD1796A8D} (MessengerStatsClient Class) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/MessengerStatsClient.cab31267.cab
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: KService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Kontiki\KService.exe
O23 - Service: Netropa NHK Server (nhksrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Apps\ActivBoard\nhksrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: QCCETSG - Unknown owner - C:\DOCUME~1\Steve\LOCALS~1\Temp\QCCETSG.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe
O23 - Service: Virtual CD v4 Security service (SDK - Version) (VCSSecS) - H+H Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\Virtual CD v4 SDK\system\vcssecs.exe
O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE

Punk

Staff member
Ok some trojans were removed.

The popup might be coming from a Vundo infection. let's see:

Please download VundoFix.exe to your desktop.
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
  • Click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
  • You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
  • Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
  • When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.
  • Please post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt and a new HiJackThis log.
Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove.
In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button." when VundoFix appears at reboot.

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
I'd like to see the ComboFix log.

1. Please download this file - ComboFix to your desktop
2. Double click ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
3. When finished, it shall produce a log for you.

Please go to http://savefile.com and upload the ComboFix log there. There is no need to register, just click the UPLOAD MY FILE button. After you upload the file, please post the link to the file. That way, anyone on the board can see the log almost as easily as if it were posted here.

Note:
Do not mouseclick ComboFix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

Punk

Staff member
I'd like to see the ComboFix log.

1. Please download this file - ComboFix to your desktop
2. Double click ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
3. When finished, it shall produce a log for you.

Please go to http://savefile.com and upload the ComboFix log there. There is no need to register, just click the UPLOAD MY FILE button. After you upload the file, please post the link to the file. That way, anyone on the board can see the log almost as easily as if it were posted here.

Note:
Do not mouseclick ComboFix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall

I'm actually waiting for one ;)

Please post one as soon as it is done.

If the file is too big, please follow these instructions:

Please go to http://savefile.com and upload the file there. There is no need to register, just click the UPLOAD MY FILE button. After you upload the file, please post the link to the file. That way, anyone on the board can see the log almost as easily as if it were posted here.

ceewi1

VIP Member
It appears that you were running ComboFix from a temporary folder. Please download ComboFix to your Desktop, as otherwise some of the commands we need to run won't work.

• Open Notepad (Start -> Run -> type notepad in the Open field -> OK) and copy and paste the text present inside the code box below:

Code:
    KillAll::
    File::
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drvcov.dll
    C:\evvr.exe
    C:\dcmqd.exe
    C:\Program Files\html2.htm
    C:\Program Files\html1.htm
    C:\Documents and Settings\Mark\Application Data\tvmknwrd.dll

Folder::
    C:\VundoFix Backups

Driver::
    QCCETSG

Registry::
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run-]
    "zango"=-
    [HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "Microsoft Update Machine"=-
    "Microsoft Update 32"=-
    "Win32 USB2 Driver"=-
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "MSDisp32"=-
  • Save this as CFScript.txt and change the Save as type to All Files and place it on your desktop.

CFScript.gif

• Referring to the screenshot above, drag CFScript.txt into ComboFix.exe.
  • ComboFix will now run a scan on your system. It may reboot your system when it finishes. This is normal.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next reply, along with a new HijackThis log.
CAUTION:
Do NOT mouse-click ComboFix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
Also, please do NOT adjust your time format while ComboFix is running.

How is your system running now?

ceewi1

VIP Member
No problems about the delay. Please also post a new HijackThis log and an update on how the system is running now.