Antivirus software-recommendations

Sizif

I am planning to buy an antivirus software. Which one do you recommend?
The price is not important at all, because I need to have my computer as secure as possible.

wellhellothere

Malwarebytes has been my only choice for malicious software protection and removal over the past 5 or 6 years. Its hugely effective and free. Avast is also decent, although i stopped using live virus protection a long time ago.

pym

I like Avira. I've found it less resource-hungry than other AV software. AV comparisons (and yes, there are a lot of them, often contradictory) usually rank Avira somewhere above average.

Punk

Staff member
I've used both Norton and Avast, they both work fine. Norton is really good, it just takes too much ram. But you know, it's a choice between security and speed ;)

Bodaggit23

Norton is really good, it just takes too much ram. But you know, it's a choice between security and speed ;)

If you use MSE or Avira, there's no need to choose.
Neither will bog your system like Norton will. Just saying...:)

Esset is also light and works well, but it's not free.

Punk

Staff member

Norton has made some really good improvements on speed ;).

MMM

I use Nortons and it is very light on system resources; actually a very good program in the last couple of years and certainly does not bog the system down.

Free programs ok but people are using numerous programs to achieve the results; plus you do not get any back up support compared to a paid program.
I think that talks for it self.

vnsmith

banned
I am using ESET Nod 32 free version and it is not giving me any trouble at all. I just made sure the it is always updated.. and I also scan my PC once in a while using trend micro..

Punk

Staff member
It's still not free...:cool:

I use Nortons and it is very light on system resources; actually a very good program in the last couple of years and certainly does not bog the system down.

Free programs ok but people are using numerous programs to achieve the results; plus you do not get any back up support compared to a paid program.
I think that talks for it self.

I stoped paying Norton and got Avast because I don't download a lot or do "unsafe" things. But Norton has always caught any trojan/spyware or even caught the messenger virus, that Avast never caught.

Norton is really good, but started as a bad program, now it's paying for its ad start...

fair1zfoul

Im using macafeee, spybot search and destroy (free) caught some things that macaffe didnt and im paying for maacfeee -.-