Any advice on what I can do with this horrid computer?

duskazazel

Hello everyone. I realized that I made a pretty bad mistake not doing my research etc. At the time, I went to Best Buy and was in a rush because my last computer died and needed a new one to finish an assignment to finish my degree. After discussing computers with the gentleman and explaining that while I didn't need to game, I did need something I could use Photoshop and Game Maker on, he recommended this:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-windows-10-home-i3552-13240blk/10449282.aspx

Unfortunately, I went on a trip for a couple of weeks, and was not near a Best Buy, and so I couldn't return it. However, what I found out was that this had to be the worst computer ever created in mankind. Currently I'm using a library computer and it's about 30x as fast as this laptop, despite being a relatively old computer. As you may have noticed the processor is a Pentium 1.6ghz processor (single core I believe), something that is closer to what I would have used during Y2K. While I realize that I was an idiot for not looking into this computer, and doing more research, I am absolutely flabergasted that this kind of thing could be sold on the market at all, and that a salesperson would talk you into buying something so horrid.

I haven't really installed any programs on it. It takes five minutes at-least to load the operating system, and even simple tasks like opening file explorer can take around 10 to 20 seconds. Every few months (it's doing this right now) it simply won't turn on. It'll try to turn on and then beep four times repetitively with this annoying beep, other-times the touchpad will stop working, not to mention lightly using the touchpad for the last six months has already pressed it in and now the touchpad will seal and you have to wait 10 seconds for it to pop back out (I'm forced to use a mouse). Just by buying this computer, it's really pushed back my degree back and made me have nervous breakdowns. I don't want to think that I wasted nearly 500 dollars on what is essentially a dud.. My only solution from what I've figured out is to..

1) Try and talk to Best Buy into giving me some kind of refund or trade (which I doubt they'll do)
2) Try and install more ram and load Windows 7 (which will take many more hours)
3) Try to sell it online to a poor sap.
4) Toss it.

I don't like wasting things, especially all this money. I realize I'm an idiot and made a really bad purchase, but what can I do? Should I just chalk it up to a school expense at this point and buy a used laptop for 100-200$ that would outperform this by 100x?

Thanks for reading..

aldan

if what you say is an accurate description of the problems i would consider taking advantage of your warranty.more ram and an ssd would also help,but having it fixed could solve some or all of your issues.

duskazazel

This computer has been horribly slow from the get-go, and I find by utilizing it for projects it means I am going to be wasting tons of time simply waiting for it to load even file explorer.. (time is money)

So, you would suggest getting it fixed under warranty, and then replacing it with a SSD? How about installing Windows 7, as it should be faster than Windows 10?

Cheers.

beers

Staff member
It isn't the fastest but it shouldn't be -that- slow. I'd see if you could negotiate a return (it helps to throw in that you'll use the cash for another laptop from them). Otherwise I'd get warranty work on it or a replacement.

More ram would help but it sounds like it has some other underlying problem.

_Pete_

I have the model before that one (UK) and yeah it aint no speed machine but mine is only a dual core and runs everything that I want it to run adequately. I do not play games but I do use Paint Shop Pro X9 and that runs okay and the renders are adequately quick. I always do a clean install of the appropriate OS of any computer that I buy as a first action. This gets rid of all the crap that the manufacturers put on. Having said all that if you are having as much trouble with that machine as you say you are then get your money back. That probably wont be that easy now that you have it a while even so these companies have to sell goods that are fit for purpose, even in America.

Agent Smith

Do yourself a favor and get a used Dell Latitude on eBay with Windows 7. Make sure it has at least 4GB of RAM and a SSD. You can add those if necessary. I'm gonna get flack, and frankly I don't care, but I'm willing to bet that computer is being a POS due to Windows 10. I'm willing to bet that if I had that computer and installed Windows 7 it would perform the way it was meant to. But that's just a hunch. There could very well be a major problem with the hardware. And no, upgrading the RAM and the HDD isn't going to fix your problem. That's like adding gold plated spark plug wires to your engine thinking you'll get more pep.

_Pete_

I would think that if the OP wipes his computer and does a clean install of Windows 10 it will perform well as well. Nothing wrong with Windows 10 really it's all the junk that the manufacturer's put on their computers. Having said that I think there is something wrong with that computer and it should go back.