Any harm to mix charger?

ssal

As more and more personal device require USB charging, I have more charging plugs than wall outlet. They have USB holes that I can plug different cables for difference devices like iPhone, Android iPhone, netBook, digital camera, battery chargers, etc. If I look at the fine prints on each of the plugs, they all have the same volts, but different A output.

All devices seem to be charging OK. But is there some harm to the device if I am not using the original plug?

beers

Staff member
More amperage generally nets you a faster charging rate on most devices.

Otherwise the devices all should be rated for at least 500 mA since that is the USB specification.

ssal

I understand the high amperage would charge a device faster. But would there be any harm to it?
Some of the plug has 2.0A.

Intel_man

VIP Member
The cable you use also has to be able to deliver more amps to the device your connected to. Some cheap cables won't handle that and will only deliver the minimum 500mA requirement.

Geoff

VIP Member
Keep in mind newer Android devices use technology such as QuickCharge or Rapid Charge, which uses volts as high as 20V to charge your device, or higher amperage. But your standard 5V @ 2.4A will work with pretty much any USB-powered device. A higher amperage rated charger won't harm anything, the device only pulls what it needs.