Any ideas why my front headphone jack doesn’t work?

johnnyb58

I’ve double checked and triple checked my head phones and they do work for sure, but not when Plugged into the front jack of two of my computers. One is a HP computer with Win 10 and it works sometimes, but I have to disconnect the speakers from the back.

My other computer with a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3 motherboard will not work at all from the front jack and I even pulled the connectors from the Front Panel Audio Header and plugged them back in. the connections on the front jack are soldered and it doesn’t look like there is anything wrong with them.

The front panel cable has 5 plugs. One is a ground with 2 wires in 1 plug and 2 red and 2 white (Line 1R & Line2-L). Only the red wires are used with the white wires dangling. I built this computer years ago, but I never had a need to use the front headphone jack and don’t know if they ever worked.

mistersprinkles

Are you sure you have the front jacks selected as the playback device in windows? On some systems front and rear jacks are seen as separate devices.

johnnyb58

Are you sure you have the front jacks selected as the playback device in windows? On some systems front and rear jacks are seen as separate devices.
Thanks for replying. I ended up breaking the head phones and had to buy a replacement. I don't know exactly what happened, but now everything is working exactly like its supposed to without any problem. I don't believe it was the headphones itself because they worked on my tablet and also on the rear jack, but maybe there was something wrong with the jack. I just don't know. Every time I turn around something happens to this computer and almost always fixes itself.
Right now I'm trying to figure out what happened to about a 100 photos that I downloaded from a flash drive and they're not on the flash drive anymore. :mad: