Any Mac Owners?

Kill Bill

[-0MEGA-];1143513 said:
If he's using dual boot then that's one thing, it seemed from his post that he wanted to use Vista as the primary OS.

I agree here. If vistas going to be primary although Mac makes great drivers for vista. Asus drivers suffice

Nums

i think he'll use leopard for whatever work he's doing and dual boot with vista for games. practically almost all mac owners dual boot via bootcamp and so will i with my iMac.

This is what I meant when I said I'm going to get Vista.

Edit: Also wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a keyboard and/or mouse. It would be nice to have when I'm in my dorm, probably be easier to play games with as well.

Last edited:

Kill Bill

This is what I meant when I said I'm going to get Vista.

Edit: Also wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a keyboard and/or mouse. It would be nice to have when I'm in my dorm, probably be easier to play games with as well.

Of course the Apple keyboards work best as it has the mac special keys on them but any keyboard and mouse work although the Windows Logo on a keyboard is equivent to a CMD on the mac keyboard. But if your doing it like that then get the mac. What type of Apps do you plan on working with mac as if it's apple applications like final cut get it but if it's adobe premier might as well just get the pc version

Kill Bill

iWork, Final Cut, and possibly Aperture not sure yet, but the first two for sure.

Well then get the Mac! Final Cut is wicked. I'm working on it ATM on my Feb 2008 Revision 17'' MBP and just done the impossible today in Motion! "Which of course is Electricity"

Nums

Well then get the Mac! Final Cut is wicked. I'm working on it ATM on my Feb 2008 Revision 17'' MBP and just done the impossible today in Motion! "Which of course is Electricity"

Do you think it would be worth it to invest in 4 gigs of RAM?

Kill Bill

Do you think it would be worth it to invest in 4 gigs of RAM?

Hmm.. Hard. If your going to be using Final Cut Studio I find it more efficent when rendering and exporting than final cut express. 2GB ATM for me is fine but when I'm exporting 720p videos sometimes you wish you had 4GB of ram. But the New MBPS and so are mine are able to address up to 6GB of Ram which is possible if you want to pay abit on a 4GB ram stick. How ever it will not be used to the core until snow leopard which I recommend you wait to january when it relases and comes on all new macs

Nums

I recommend you wait to january when it relases and comes on all new macs

Haha, I've been toying around with this idea for a few months now, I guess one more month won't hurt. Just curious, but is it just a new OS that is coming out, or are they planning on improving a few designs too, ie hardware, design, ports etc?

Kill Bill

Haha, I've been toying around with this idea for a few months now, I guess one more month won't hurt. Just curious, but is it just a new OS that is coming out, or are they planning on improving a few designs too, ie hardware, design, ports etc?

I know people hacked the New MBP and found code for new imacs and mac minis and the New OS but the MBP will prob the same expect new 17'' with the current 15.4'' design.

Geoff

VIP Member
Snow Leopard is not going to have any major changes to software or it's capabilities, they are just making it lighter (less space consumed), and trying to get it to run on lower end hardware.

Kill Bill

[-0MEGA-];1144282 said:
Snow Leopard is not going to have any major changes to software or it's capabilities, they are just making it lighter (less space consumed), and trying to get it to run on lower end hardware.

By dropping PPC support ROFL! Don't forget about Open CL and 64bit oh and Open CL is capable of turning a GPU power into CPU power

Geoff

VIP Member
By dropping PPC support ROFL! Don't forget about Open CL and 64bit oh and Open CL is capable of turning a GPU power into CPU power

"Since 2001, Mac OS X has delivered more than a thousand innovative new features. With Snow Leopard, the next major version of the world’s most advanced operating system, Mac OS X changes more than its spots, it changes focus. Taking a break from adding new features, Snow Leopard — scheduled to ship in about a year — builds on Leopard’s enormous innovations by delivering a new generation of core software technologies that will streamline Mac OS X, enhance its performance, and set new standards for quality. Snow Leopard dramatically reduces the footprint of Mac OS X, making it even more efficient for users, and giving them back valuable hard drive space for their music and photos."

While what you said is true, those aren't new features, it's just improving on the core of the OS. Point is, there isn't any that extraordinary about Snow Leopard that should put people off from buying a Mac now.

Last edited:

Kill Bill

[-0MEGA-];1144292 said:
"Since 2001, Mac OS X has delivered more than a thousand innovative new features. With Snow Leopard, the next major version of the world’s most advanced operating system, Mac OS X changes more than its spots, it changes focus. Taking a break from adding new features, Snow Leopard — scheduled to ship in about a year — builds on Leopard’s enormous innovations by delivering a new generation of core software technologies that will streamline Mac OS X, enhance its performance, and set new standards for quality. Snow Leopard dramatically reduces the footprint of Mac OS X, making it even more efficient for users, and giving them back valuable hard drive space for their music and photos."

While what you said is true, those aren't new features, it's just improving on the core of the OS. Point is, there isn't any that extraordinary about Snow Leopard that should put people off from buying a Mac now.

Feeling your taking that off the apple website. Did you scroll down reading about Open CL:rolleyes:

Geoff

VIP Member
Feeling your taking that off the apple website. Did you scroll down reading about Open CL:rolleyes:

I know, I said you were right about those technologies (and yes I did take it off the site :p). My point was that to the average user, there isn't much of a reason to hold off on buying a Mac with Snow Leopard if you want to get one now, as there really isn't much difference between the two. Sure it supports 64-bit and OpenCL, but how many apps will utilize that right after launch?

Kill Bill

[-0MEGA-];1144312 said:
I know, I said you were right about those technologies (and yes I did take it off the site :p). My point was that to the average user, there isn't much of a reason to hold off on buying a Mac with Snow Leopard if you want to get one now, as there really isn't much difference between the two. Sure it supports 64-bit and OpenCL, but how many apps will utilize that right after launch?

Hes going to be using Final Cut and Aperture so might as well stay future proof. And apple might have a january sale price cut.

tlarkin

VIP Member
He didn't say that, he said "practically almost all mac owners dual boot via bootcamp" there is a difference.

Splitting hairs you are, however, I still find this to be not true and am asking where they get this information from?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
practically almost all mac owners dual boot via bootcamp

I doubt that. It would be interesting to see some type of poll. I'm guessing most Mac owners buy a Mac for the software and the look, i.e. want nothing to do with Windows and don't want to own a bulky machine, desire something with a nice style and look.

Personally, I want a Macbook because they look sick and I love the software. All the Windows based laptops don't look too appealing to me. They all look the same, just different hardware specs.

Last edited: