Any news on nvidia 7xx?

Aastii

VIP Member
We both know, generally if you have over 1000 posts you dont have to tell people things like that.

He said CCC sucked and no linux support were the main problems.

Because posts = knowledge, right... :rolleyes:

The AMD 8000 series are expected before the end of the year. Have you considered a second 560 Ti as a temporary measure and wait to see what the 8000/700 cards have to offer? Two 560Ti's should be able to drive that many pixels

salvage-this

I have thought about that. The problem is that for now the 560ti that I can find that are 2gb are still pretty expensive. I can find 1gb models for pretty cheap but 1gb at this resolution would be terrible

Edit: if I could find another to SLI with for a decent price, would 560 SLI be enough power that 2gb would be a limit for most games. I understand that there will be some games that will have trouble at this resolution no matter what.

Last edited:

Spesh

I don't think it's wise to invest in another 500 series card at this stage. Neither am I convinced that it will offer the performance you are seeking.

But if you can find another card cheaply, I suppose you could give it a try.

salvage-this

Yeah I'm not sure either. I can seem to find it for ~120 for a palit 2gb to 199 for a clone of the one that I have. I might be able to talk the seller down a bit.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I think the best option is going with a cheap hd7950 somewhere.
If you need the extras from CUDA (didn't read whole thread), yeah, then second 2gb version for SLI is a good option.

Edit: go for the 560ti 2gb version and go SLI, that will be cheaper.

salvage-this

From what I have been reading an OCed 7970 would be about the same as a 560TI SLI setup. Dismissing driver issues, the performance would be enough. My bare bones goal is to get off playing the higher end titles on low. So I would think that I could manage at least high if not better with another 560TI. The thing that worries me is memory. With the added horsepower, will memory give me problems now that I can bump up the settings.

Spesh

The memory would be a bottleneck. It was when I was running tri SLI 580's. Oodles of power but it was useless, because I couldn't crank the textures/AA due to memory limitations. It was supreme for benching though.

Aastii

VIP Member

Oh come off it, sometimes I question whether or not you were accidentally dropped on your head shortly after birth... :p

If you are not concerned about the absolute max settings as said previously, what would be wrong with 2 560TI's for a few months, and then one of the beefier 8000/700 series cards? It will still be fine for your resolution, just some games won't have the bells and whistles spesh mentioned, but in a couple of months you will have a far more powerful card... I guess

If it was me, I would look at long term. What I am saying is what I was planning to do (only a single 560Ti as I am only at 1920x1080), but dropped on the sickening deal I got for my 7970

Spesh

I know a bloke who was running 560 SLI, but he sold both cards, due to what he decribed as "hideous microstutter issues". He is currently running 580 SLI with no problems at all.

Aastii

VIP Member
Your bloke goes against everyone else I know that was running them. The only thing I could think of would be he was on flawed drivers. Either way, it has since been sorted, if indeed the problem was there in the first place.

salvage-this

This just came up today $135 after shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-NVIDIA-...288?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3a800272d8

That makes it a lot more worth it than $200

my 560ti was totally fine for me at 1080. Just jumping to a bit over double the pixels took the performance down quite a bit. If I can't turn up all of the details at least I will have a higher fps to deal with tougher sections. Right now Bioshock Infinite looks really good still on low. I am just still having troubles with huge dips in certain areas.

Spesh

Your bloke goes against everyone else I know that was running them. The only thing I could think of would be he was on flawed drivers. Either way, it has since been sorted, if indeed the problem was there in the first place.

I can only speak from my own experience, but the drivers were up to date. You obviously have more friends than me though, so I won't argue.

In any case, 2GB is never wise for 1600p unless you are happy to turn features off.

salvage-this

I decided to do SLI. I found a guy selling the identical GPU for $100. I know I'll be memory limited in some titles, but for now I wanted to get Bioshock Infinate running better. 560TI SLI delivers. at 1600 on low I was getting around 60-70 fps but there were huge dips into the low 40s. In SLI I am around 110 average. So now I can get consistent framerates around 60 on 1600 at high settings. Great gameplay and really good visuals in the game.

Being that I get a few hours a week to game this will work really well for now. Hopefully I don't see any problems with drivers or game compatibility down the road.

G80FTW

go for the gtx 690 or titan. i thought i was gonna have problems with 690 quad sli, but boy does it plow through anything. Im running crysis 3 with ~90 fps avg on 2560x1600 with everything maxed excluding pixel accurate displacement mapping.

Fixed it for you. The game doesnt have it.

On topic though, we may not see the 700 series. I think I did read something about it being possibly may/june though. Even so, it wouldnt be worth it. The 700 series is just an improvement over the 600 series, a mere 5-10% performance increase I think it said. Id wait for the Maxwell which I think should be 2014.

Last edited:

salvage-this

Yeah with the performance of the 560TI SLI I should have no problem waiting past the kepler refresh. I'll just have to see what generation seems the best to jump on.