Any news on the 5870X2???

Computer_Freak

Hey guys

Have you heard anything on the ATI 5870X2?

Must be a monster, considering the singe GPU 5870 is on par with the GTX295.

i want to get the 5870X2, but ill also wait for nVidias offering...

Although i will probably swing ATI's way if nVidia doesnt go DX11, and if they dont use GDDR5...

but nVidia does have better driver support...

hmmm, tough one...

Computer_Freak

i thought the 5870 was a single GPU card.

teh GTX295 is dual

isnt that correct?

EDIT: From HardwareCanucks

The first of these will be the HD 5870 1GB that so many of you have already heard about through leaked slides and quick previews. This will be ATI’s flagship single chip card for the foreseeable future and is supposedly able to put the screws to Nvidia’s GTX 295 while retailing for about $100 less.

so it is single chip

now when will the dual chip monster be arriving?

Last edited:

Jamin43

banned
Hey guys

Stalker%204xAA.png

Crysis%208xAA.png

Far%20Cry%202%208xAA.png

Left%204%20Dead%204xAA.png

World%20in%20Conflict%204xAA.png

Source Article

Nightrain

Are you referring to the 5970, which has been out (albeit low quantities) for quite a while? It also is clocked more like a "5850x2" due to the ATX spec power limit, but they do offer a voltage tweak/overclock tool iirc to bump up to "5870x2" speeds, but this falls about 100w over the ATX spec limit, so they can't offer it out of the box that way.

Also, imo the 5970 would be way over powered for a 19" screen. You would be seriously limited by the screen, among the other hardware in your sig rig.

3uL

Hey guys

Must be a monster, considering the singe GPU 5870 is on par with the GTX295.

i want to get the 5870X2, but ill also wait for nVidias offering...

Although i will probably swing ATI's way if nVidia doesnt go DX11, and if they dont use GDDR5...

but nVidia does have better driver support...

hmmm, tough one...

First, where the hell you have been?? ATI HD5870x2 already on sale for a while dubbed as HD5970. As I stated, it use 2 HD5870 chips however clocked similar to HD5850 due to ATX spec limit as Nightrain stated.
Second, it is a monster. It barely fit my casing after I remove my hdd to another slot. and...

This monster really kickin GTX295 ass...

bomberboysk

Says who?
In quite alot of applications the 295 and 5870 are essentially neck and neck, and the 5870 murders the 295 in games that dual gpu's arent supported very well.
First, where the hell you have been?? ATI HD5870x2 already on sale for a while dubbed as HD5970. As I stated, it use 2 HD5870 chips however clocked similar to HD5850 due to ATX spec limit as Nightrain stated.
Second, it is a monster. It barely fit my casing after I remove my hdd to another slot. and...

This monster really kickin GTX295 ass...
Quite literally, the 5850 and 5870 are the same exact chip, just that the 5850 has some stream processors disabled. It is clocked lower due to heat concerns, there is no ATX spec limit on the amount of power a single gpu can draw(hence the reason for pcie connectors, such as the GTX285 classified with three pcie power connectors on it).

Last edited:

Computer_Freak

i just read a review on it.

its between 20% - 50% better than the GTX295...

i cant wait to see nVidia's response.

now the companies are really competing, and because of that, we will get great products, at good prices...

3uL

Yeah. Nvidia really got pwned by AMD this time. Too bad we can only be able to see Fermi next year...

3uL

That's right. Nvidia really such a douch this time. By the time fermi is released, AMD already start planning HD6xxx cards. Dude, where are you Nvidia???

Computer_Freak

i want nVidia to catch up, but i still want ATI to be in the lead

cause that is what creates innovation.

look at ATI. they where behind for so long, and now, they just blew everything out of the water.

and best of all, if nVidia can retaliate, then we get the best possible prices...

Computer_Freak

yup

i guess i should sell my GTX295 before prices here in South Africa Drop...

Price of a new GTX295 is $1000

i bought mine for $700

Now you know our pain...

I will sell my GTX295 for a 5870

or add extra and get a 5890 (ill see what they will cost)

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
yup

i guess i should sell my GTX295 before prices here in South Africa Drop...

Price of a new GTX295 is $1000

i bought mine for $700

Now you know our pain...

I will sell my GTX295 for a 5870

or add extra and get a 5890 (ill see what they will cost)

Ounch, $1000 USD?? That does hurt man. Would it be cheaper to get someone in the US to buy it for you and pay the taxes and customs and stuff?

Computer_Freak

well, we get 25% import duty, and 14% Value added tax (VAT)

then shipping etc

my dad might go to the states soon.

so ill ask him to get a 5970.

he actually gets many things shipped fromthe states, so i might ask him to throw it in with the container...

but yea, things are damn expensive here...

Last edited: