Any opinions on a cheap tablet for video streaming?

serve2000

I have a baby monitor that streams HD video. Right now I just stream to my phone, but I noticed this thing uses a whopping 80GB/month of wifi data. Fortunately, to date, I've always had the stream go over wifi. But it's a nightmare to think what that would cost if I erroneously shut off wifi or my internet went out. It's also nice not to be draining my cell phone battery or to be able to watch the monitor while I'm speaking on the phone.

So that leads me to the idea of a cheap tablet. I'm weighing the idea of getting a lower-cost ($100-$150 or so?) android (prefer the OS) tablet. For this to work it would need to be reasonably snappy...my ~2013 ipad can't handle this video stream without freezing and lagging out (not sure if that's a wifi or CPU issue.) Lastly, such device would hopefully have an aftermarket case that is water resistant so that I can still see the baby from the hot tub (I'd be setting it on the edge of the hot tub, not dunking the thing.)

So no real storage concerns or size concerns. Just able to stream HD video and have an after market case that and protect from some splashing.

serve2000

Are they pretty solid for video streaming? In my head I had pigeon-holed them into being reading devices, I'll have to give them a look.

_Kyle_

The new ones are pretty great, I have one. Seems to work very well. The older ones though... yuck.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The app installation is pretty restricted on them. I'd look into something other than a Kindle.