Any point in utilizing 2 IPs?

bcomatts

With my cable internet plan I get two IP addresses.

My situation:

I have a desktop, xbox360, and laptop. I have a wireless router and I am currently running my desktop and xbox360 over LAN however I no longer want to run a 50ft RJ45 cable to my xbox360. So I have been considering two options:

1 - Buy a wireless PCI card for my desktop and move the router to my living room w/ my xbox360.

2 - Buy a 2nd cable modem and utilize the 2nd IP address that my broadband company entitles me to, and put that modem in the living room and just run the xbox360 off it.

Not an option - buy xbox360 wireless card... no thank you.

So is it wayyy more beneficial to utilize my 2nd IP rather than go wireless on my desktop? What are the benefits?

Which would be faster? Surfing the net/xbox live at the same time on 2 IP's or on 1 IP?

Thanks!

EDIT: Router: D-Link DI-624. PCI card for consideration D-LINK DWL-G520.

Last edited:

Cleric7x9

the only way having a second IP address would be faster is if your cable company gives you twice the bandwidth. if they are giving you the same bandwidth, but two IP addresses, just get a wireless card for your PC. also, i dont see how having two IPs would eliminate your wiring problem

bcomatts

I have multiple cable jacks in my house, so currently i am using the one in my den for my internet but I also have a couple in the living room with the tv.

Cleric7x9

oh ok, to be honest i dont know enough about cable internet to answer the question. you should probably call the cable company and ask them