any programmers out there

hello everyone i am looking to learn computer language in order to better understand how computers work and would like a programmers input as to which one to learn first.
i read somewhere if you learn the C language the others are easier as they are based off C language is this true?
also i would like to know how did you learn?

thanks in advance

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I am self taught. That said, I did go to school for software, however that was primarily to get the paper that said I did it, I knew the vast majority of the topics before entering.

Learning C first can be an advantage, a lot of languages use a similar syntax, but the reality is the syntax you get used to in about a week. There's so much more to know. Keep in mind that C does not do memory management at all, and there are a few other things that can trip you up.

I personally think knowing C or another lower level language makes you better because you understand what other things are doing behind the scenes. But it's certainly not a must have. Several of my colleagues only know some python and javascript.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
C is a good mix of high and low level.

From a job search point of view, imo it's easier to get into somewhere knowing C#. Not that it is a hard jump to there from C/C++.

Purely from a how it works, I'd say assembly.