Any Reasonable prices on RTX 3070/3080?

TigerFish

It looks like some NVIDIA RTX chip GPUs are coming back onto the consumer market. The prices I am seeing are ridiculous. Either NVIDIA or more than likely the board manufacturers are making a mint. Since I believe in supply and demand, I will avoid saying they are gouging. Has anyone seen any prices for RTX 3070 or 3080 that seem reasonable? Can anyone relate an experience about switching from NVIDIA to AMD GPUs?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The whole gpu market is inflated right now because of covid and mining. Cards are 2-3 times as much as they should be.

A lot of it is scalping from companies/individuals with deep pockets that have a bot buy up any available supply and then resell it at higher prices
IIRC during one of NVIDIA's calls Q3 22 is supposedly when supply was targeted to stabilize but that is no guarantee
Used last gen nvidia RTX 2000 series cards are getting much better though and they will still be relevant for some time still, I initially bought mine in 2019 before the shortage and prices for the last year went well in excess of what I paid for initially (up to 50% higher)
But now as I check ebay listings the majority of them are going for less than what I paid for initially, not too much less but definitely more characteristic of a used product

TigerFish

A lot of it is scalping from companies/individuals with deep pockets that have a bot buy up any available supply and then resell it at higher prices
IIRC during one of NVIDIA's calls Q3 22 is supposedly when supply was targeted to stabilize but that is no guarantee
Used last gen nvidia RTX 2000 series cards are getting much better though and they will still be relevant for some time still, I initially bought mine in 2019 before the shortage and prices for the last year went well in excess of what I paid for initially (up to 50% higher)
But now as I check ebay listings the majority of them are going for less than what I paid for initially, not too much less but definitely more characteristic of a used product
I heard that some of the RTX boards on eBay were counterfit. I also heard that some of the boards were worn out boards from crypto miners. Do you think there any truth to those stories?

I heard that some of the RTX boards on eBay were counterfit. I also heard that some of the boards were worn out boards from crypto miners. Do you think there any truth to those stories?
Yes but even in a normal year this is true with most used products that you purchase, including (especially) gpus
Sites like ebay and amazon have a more generous return policy which allows you to return the card and get your money back if it isnt what was advertised
If you choose to go that rout you will want to test your card within the return period (I think it's 30 days)to make sure it works as expected and not rely on what device manager reports as a graphics driver (scammers can spoof those)
An easy test is to run a benchmark or a game you are familiar with to see if it performs as expected, if not (or if it is substantially worse) then that's a sign that it was a scam