Any Wi-Fi adapter is immediately slowing down after connected

Blabalerflager

Hey everyone,

I have 3 Wi-Fi adapters:
- integrated with Asus motherboard,
- TP-LINK TL-WN822N,
- Netgear A6210.
When any of these gets connected to the computer, speed tests show that everything is working fine. But only in very first seconds... Then the speed can drop down form 25mb/s (Netgear A6210) to even 10kb/s over 15-20 seconds. These restults are reliable, since the speeds can be felt using the Internet.
I have a Windows 10, freshly installed after the previous installation crashed. It used to be so before, but the speeds dropped down to 500kb/s. Other devices connected to this Wi-Fi work fine (10-20mb/s).

What is the problem and how can it be solved?

Intel_man

VIP Member
If you tested your wifi connection from your computer on 3 different adapters and have the same conclusion. It's probably two things.

1. Your router/modem is on it's way out.
2. It may be on your ISP end that is having issues and should be contacted.

Blabalerflager

But all other devices (other computers, phones) connected to this network work fine. It is a network in a dorm, so I do not have an access to the router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then its something on the pc. Have you scanned it for malware using malwarebytes?

Forget about the TP-LINK adapter, use the Netgear A6210 adapter, just so happens I have the exact same adapter, my personal experience with this exact adapter is that its an excellent adapter, find it hard to put the fault on the adapter, there is only one thing I can think that maybe causing you this problem.

You say you have an onboard Wifi, are you absolutely certain that when you plug your Netgear A6210 adapter in that you are using this adaptor to connect to your Wifi and not the onboard adapter?

Unless you have disabled the Onboard adaptor its possible that you could in fact be connecting with this adapter still instead of your Netgear A6210.

If both adapters are enabled you may simply unknowingly have your system set up to connect using the Onboard Adaptor, in which case the speed drop will be related to an issue with the Onboard adaptor alone which maybe kicking in and kicking off your Netgear A6210, leaving you unknowingly connected via the faulty onboard instead of the Netgear A6210 you may wrongfully think you are using.

Sounds stupid I know but maybe easy to overlook such a simple cause, if you have 2 wifi adaptors enabled on Windows 10 its easy to change this setting so that you connect with the Netgear A6210 and not the Onboard. Simply left click on the wifi icon on the taskbar, there will be a drop down menu at the top of the opened window, which will simply let you select which wifi adaptor you want to connect with, it will simply have them listed as options "Wifi" and "Wifi 2" by default odds are your Netgear will be "Wifi 2" since it would make perfect sense for the drivers for the onboard to be installed first when installing windows, simply make sure that you have the right adaptor selected when you connect to your network which related to your Netgear A6210 and make sure you tick the box "connect automatically" hence defaulting from then forward to your Netgear A6210 adaptor.

Could be that simple so worth checking.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
What router?

I have TP-Link router (WDR4300), it would absolutely hate one of my laptops, constantly dropping or ridiculously slowing down connections, even with a USB wifi dongle. Switching the stock firmware to dd-wrt fixed it. I've had similar problems on another TP-Link router in the past (and the same laptop too), but it sort of just "went away", no idea what the issue was. Seeing as you don't have access to it, doesn't look like you'll be able to do anything about it, though. One thing you could do, though, since your phone works fine: just connect it to the computer and have it use your phone's wifi. A bit clunky but I've done this in the past when my laptop's wifi has acted up.