Anybody else noticed this?

bigcomp

I was wondering if its just me or it happens on all laptops!

I was cleaning my laptop recently and I had it turned at a 90 degree angle ( lid of my laptop hugging the floor, with the lid completely opened up ), offcourse the picture appeared to be dim and all with minimum colors.. the usual LCD stuff. But what I noticed were few diagonal lines flowing right to left for a gradient background.

Check out this image, while your laptop is in a position where its image appears to be dimmer than normal and with minimum colors, you get the idea. Notice the lower most white part of this image and tell me if you can see any diagonal lines flowing right to left or anything similar.
blue_gradient_background.jpg

Thanks in advance!

bigcomp

What kind of LCD do you use? I have a 14" LCD with LED backlight

If its just happening to me then do you guys think this is something to be concerned about?

bigcomp

No actually, I meant when I am viewing my laptop LCD from an angle where the image looks dimmer than when viewed from front. I notice "animated" diagonal lines over gradient background.

I was wondering if thats normal.

bigcomp

Great, so I didnt mess up my laptop after all :)

I have a refresh rate of 65hz ( maximum ) with a color depth of 32-bit, so yes the refresh rate isnt that high that may be causing this. By the way which LCD do you own?

lucasbytegenius

I own two: One's a 12 inch on my aging 400 MHz laptop, and the other is attached to the computer I use to access the internet. The latter is the one that you can see the moving lines on when you look closely.

bigcomp

I see but just to be sure, If you try seeing the gradient image I posted, you should be seeing "diagonal" lines moving from right to left or otherwise at the bottom of the gradient image.

If the lines you are talking about are horizontal, then that is another issue which will go off if you get your LCD brightness to the maximum. Can you please confirm that to me by using the image? Exactly what kind of lines were you seeing.

Thanks

bigcomp

And thats only for gradient backgrounds?

Unfortunately for me its just 65hz option so I can't check if they disappear at higher refresh rates.

lucasbytegenius

And thats only for gradient backgrounds?

Unfortunately for me its just 65hz option so I can't check if they disappear at higher refresh rates.

On my laptop with it's maximum 24-bit color depth, everything's a gradient graphic;). So, yes, everything's got moving diagonal lines if you look at it right.

bigcomp

On my laptop with it's maximum 24-bit color depth, everything's a gradient graphic. So, yes, everything's got moving diagonal lines if you look at it right.
Sounds similar but possibly something else because I have seen laptops with diagonal lines all over the screen

this happens with my laptop aha
Is itexactly what is happening with me? Animated diagonal lines only at the bottom half of the gradient image?

I see horizontal reddish colored lines at the very bottom. No diagonal and no animated
Thats not an issue, its possible just the discoloration when you were seeing the screen with that angle.