Anyone else think this guy is an ass?

spirit

Staff member
Just look on eBay for custom built PCs, they all have cheap power supplies with relativity high-end video cards. Or go to pretty much any computer store and they'll do the same thing 9 times out of 10.

And yes, it's a bad idea. I also see he's using an IDE optical drive, lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, I see that to be horrible business. Who is going to come back and buy from you when there power supply dies with in a month of usage and then takes out all the rest of your components with it. The major problem I see is all anyone cares about these days is how cheaply can I buy something.

Also I can not believe he found an AM3 mobo with IDE connectors on it lol. :D

Rit

Anyone else think this guy is an asshole for selling a "custom built computer" on craigslist with a 23 dollar power supply with a gtx650ti?

http://toledo.craigslist.org/sys/3535208271.html

I don't think he's intentionally being a jerk. Some people just don't know better and just go the 'cheapest' route or he upgraded parts from an old computer and kept the power supply. But that's why it's also important that the buyer is aware of what they are getting.

spirit

Staff member
I don't think he's intentionally being a jerk. Some people just don't know better and just go the 'cheapest' route or he upgraded parts from an old computer and kept the power supply. But that's why it's also important that the buyer is aware of what they are getting.

+1. The sad truth many people who build these PCs to sell know which CPU, board, hard drive, RAM and graphics card to use. Sadly though, they usually end up skimping out on the case and the power supply - the power supply technically being the most important part of the system. Sometimes people skimp out on other parts too. I regularly see PCs on eBay with say an i7 2600K, 16GB of RAM paired with a really low-end H61 board in a cheap case and powered by a cheap power supply with the OS installed onto a 5400 RPM hard drive.

That's not to say everybody who builds PCs to say is like that though.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although i wouldn't trust that PSU at all,Maybe the seller just didn't know about computers all that much so did not know what was good and what was bad,So you cant really say hes an *** just because of that.

However,Like Spirit said...you take a look on Ebay at those online stores that sell various different builds,and most of the street computer shops here in the UK and they will most likely come with a really crappy power supply...those are the people who i would call *** because they know better!

Darren

Staff member
A lot of "gaming" computers sold by major companies or other online retailers have a mediocre video card at best paired with a pretty powerful CPU and a lame PSU and case.

Basically the way they sell them anymore is big bold fonts that scream "GAMING COMPUTER, SUPER FAST." Then put big numbers on the parts and that's it. A lot more people know what an i7 is vs a video card. Also fancy looking lights is important. :p

My guess is though he just doesn't know that the PSU is that big of a problem.

spirit

Staff member
The fact is: big numbers sell to the masses. That is why you tend to get pre-built systems sold with i7s and 16GB of RAM and 1TB hard drives paired with 6670s in a rubbish case all powered by a rubbish power supply.