Anyone have some cool unique idea to reduce HDD noise?

Euklid

Use the right screws, and screw it in well from both sides. As silly as it sounds, I used the wrong screws first time, and it was vibrating, then I fixed it, and it's quiet now.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Having little rubber grommets between the drive and the metal of the case helps too. I've got a steel Antec case and it's really quiet, it's hard to even hear the fans running inside.

bomberboysk

Lol as the title says.

It will be the loudest part of my new build so any ideas? Lol.

If your concerned about noise get a solid state drive:p But honestly... you could add some foam rubber between the case and the drive to deaden some noise, but with my barracudas in raid and just using the stock mounting on my xclio i can barely(if at all) hear a thing from them...

StrangleHold

Staff member
Lol as the title says.

It will be the loudest part of my new build so any ideas? Lol.

If your harddrive is louder than anything else in the computer I would see about replacing it. If I can even hear my drive at all, I RMA it or if its older I replace it.

zombine210

i don't mean to me a jerk, but would you explain why you need to silence a harddrive? i mean, it can't be too bad, can it? i have three hdds and i can't even hear them over the monitor whining and the case fans.

If your harddrive is louder than anything else in the computer I would see about replacing it. If I can even hear my drive at all, I RMA it or if its older I replace it.

besides the cooling fans or water pump, the hard drive is the only mechanical device in a computer, so it will be the loudest thing in it, one would think:confused:. i've never heard a stick or ram click or hum :p

StrangleHold

Staff member
i have three hdds and i can't even hear them over the monitor whining and the case fans.

besides the cooling fans or water pump, the hard drive is the only mechanical device in a computer, so it will be the loudest thing in it, one would think:confused:. i've never heard a stick or ram click or hum :p

The first part of your own post kind of explains it.

zombine210

The first part of your own post kind of explains it.

the light bulb comes on and i see your point, if it were defective and loud, then yeah, it would probably need replacing.
however he didn't ask how to silence a noisy, and possibly defective, harddrive. he wants to know how to make 'any' harddrive silent

It will be the loudest part of my new build ...

means said harddrive isn't in place and making unatural noise, yet. assuming he gets a good, new harddrive, why the need to silence it :confused:

veilx

these tips are awesome!, thanks guys, Our Family computer is so loud, that when you sleep in the same room with it, it drives ppl Insane!