Anyone help?

a.b.u

Ah, first off, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

..but, i really need help. For the past 4months or so, my computer has been freezing non-stop for no reason. I never overclocked. It's not overheating. (running @ 57°C). I cleaned off the hardware, for the most part.

It can't be ram. I added another gig stick, so i have 2 gigs of RAM now.
My computer is a HP a605x, it's like an 01 or 02 model. I'm not sure..
Umm.. it uses DDR ram, sadly. it's expensive.

Anyways, onto the point.. it freezes like mad. Like when i shut it off for the night, when i turn it on i have to restart it like 20 times literally before it wont freeze. When i scroll over a website, aim, or even msn.. it freezes. took forever to make this post, actually.

Anyways, I know it's not a virus. I reformatted my HD and it's all like new i guess you could say. I lost 1k+ songs, sadly. And a ton of pics, but oh well.
I really need to fix this :S

I'm fed up with it freezing randomly.. anyways, i need help here, badly.
i'm at the last straw, ha.

Can anyone help, suggestions, maybe?

Thanks

lovely?

what have you added to the computer, and how powerful is its power supply? you should be able to find the specs on a sticker coming from it

a good way to tell if its the power supply is to stress the computer. put on a benchmark or a video game, and if the stress freezes the computer i would suspect power failure

a.b.u

I had to change my power supply out over the summer, because our power went out, and when i turned it on, it blew.

My power supply is a 350watt Dynex one, btw.

And how would i manage to benchmark? (i'm not too skilled @ computers)

Edit: also, the screen will flash, and it'll freeze, for like 5 seconds, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, and it'll flash until it's unfrozen.

Then, 2 minutes later, frozen again. :(

Last edited:

lovely?

well really the main question is when you do things that stress the computer out, does it freeze? if you open windows media player along with five other programs at the same time, will that cause it?

a.b.u

Ahh, nope..

The only things i use are usually MSN, and firefox, rarely aim, but it loads on start up any how.

Everytime a webpage loads.. it'll flash or freeze.

Edit/ like, right now.. only 28 processes running, and only 2%-7% usage..

Bronson7

ABU, why do you say it can't be ram? Have you run MEMTEST86?
I'd do that first if you haven't already, then, as suggested, test the psu. I like to back probe the 20/24 connector under load using a digital VOM, if that's a bit daunting, substitute with a known good psu. You may also want to check your event logs for any abnormalities. Almost forgot. How does it act in safe mode?
Bronson7

Last edited:

a.b.u

I don't know, i'd figure my ram would be enough..

It's weird, it'll go from like 2-7%, and when i load something, bump to 60%ish, and it'll start flashing when the cpu gets to 90%+ and it'll freeze. On the CPU usage, that is.

Also, it just automatically cut off by itself.

I have no idea how to test the psu.
Or the MEMTEST86 thing.

i'm not that great with computers, that's why i'm asking for help, lol :p

a.b.u

I have no idea at all how to operate that thing, sorry. o.o

Also, i've noticed it's my CPU usage which is causing the freezes. It goes up to 90+ and freeze.
Also, i thought i had 1gb in my comp before, but it was only 512mb of ram, soo, after adding a stick, i have 1.5gigs of ram.

And my computer runs from 56-61 C

Is it over heating or what?

StrangleHold

Staff member
When you reinstalled your OS did you update all your drivers and did you install anti virus and anti spyware software?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I have no idea at all how to operate that thing, sorry. o.o

Also, i've noticed it's my CPU usage which is causing the freezes. It goes up to 90+ and freeze.
Also, i thought i had 1gb in my comp before, but it was only 512mb of ram, soo, after adding a stick, i have 1.5gigs of ram.

And my computer runs from 56-61 C

Is it over heating or what?

61C? What are your specs? And what were you doing at the time?

a.b.u

Yup, and updated it to service pack 3. :)

Umm.. i'm not all the way sure but, i know i have a..

80 GB HD
1.5 gigs ram
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Geforce Nvidia 4000mx
350 watt power supply =\

That's all i know about it, really.

And at the time i wasn't doing anything. 28 processes were running, i wasn't on it, or anything. I checked with my dad's and specs are like 3x better than mine and his is running at only 43C and he has his in the desk, doors closed, with yahoo, and like 3 other programs running.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Yup, and updated it to service pack 3. :)

Umm.. i'm not all the way sure but, i know i have a..

80 GB HD
1.5 gigs ram
AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Geforce Nvidia 4000mx
350 watt power supply =\

That's all i know about it, really.

And at the time i wasn't doing anything. 28 processes were running, i wasn't on it, or anything. I checked with my dad's and specs are like 3x better than mine and his is running at only 43C and he has his in the desk, doors closed, with yahoo, and like 3 other programs running.

So around 61C idle... interesting. Most likely during gaming you hit 80C+...

Solutions:

Buy MX-2 or Arctic Silver 5
Buy an aftermarket copper heatsink
Clean the heatsink and fan of all dust, as well as case
Buy and add case fans