anyone tried prolimatech megahalems with no fans?

curtains

out of curiosity anyone tried this heatsink without a fan?

or a similar aftermarket heatsink without a fan?

what type of idle and load temps do you get or any estimations?

anyone think this will work?

on a i7 930 or something

jevery

I'd think an i7-930 would idle or run lightly loaded without a sharp rise in temperature, but at 130w it'd overheat for sure under a full load. I can turn my CPU fan down to 120 RPM at idle without a noticeable rise in temperature. You could probably get by without a fan on something like a 65w E8400.

just a noob

It won't work, it needs some amount of airflow. I tried this on my TRUE with a 920@stock and it reached the point where it would reach the thermal shutdown in bios

Bodaggit23

It won't work... I tried this on my TRUE...

Is the TRUE meant to be used passively like the Megahalems?

Case airflow should be adequate with a cooler intended to be
used passively when not overclocked, although I'm not sure
why anyone would not just buy at least one fan...

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Do you have a rear and/or top fan RIGHT next to the heatsink?

And @just a noob. The true is not meant to be used without a fan as the heatsink spacings are way too close. The prolimatech megahalem might stand a chance. Back in the days i was running the scythe Ninja without any fans and i had a load temp of about 55C.

linkin

VIP Member
Depends on the cpu. if you're running a 130w cpu and overclocking it, passive cooling is a no go. you're welcome to try, but keep an eye on temperatures, if they get anywhere near 80c, shut down immediately. (this is assuming the i7 930, max temps vary between cpu's)

Springy182

For idling any decent heatsink should prevent overheating if the fan is stopped/isnt present, given decent airflow.

I transported my computer once and the fanwire for my Zalman 9500 got dislodged and jammed the fanblade. For reference it's an OCed Q9550 @ 3400MHz and I woke up to it the next day.

Hsv_Man

For idling any decent heatsink should prevent overheating if the fan is stopped/isnt present, given decent airflow.

I transported my computer once and the fanwire for my Zalman 9500 got dislodged and jammed the fanblade. For reference it's an OCed Q9550 @ 3400MHz and I woke up to it the next day.

I'd say you were lucky there not to damage/kill the processor. Presuming you didn't have any thermal shutdown procedure turned on in the bios.

Springy182

I'd say you were lucky there not to damage/kill the processor. Presuming you didn't have any thermal shutdown procedure turned on in the bios.

..I've got four 120MM intake fans and 3 exhaust, it was maybe 8C higher than normal. It -idled- all night. Worst that happened is the fan probably wore out quicker than it should've afterwards.

Edit: Not to mention, it's an aftermarket heatsink with much greater cooling capacity than Intel stock. Some aftermarkets are even marketed as passive.

Last edited: