Anyone want to help a noob pick ram for my dell?

lazerline19

Want to upgrade my ram I have 2 slots that take ddr3 computer model number is................
Dell Inspiron 3847

I apologize for this stupid question but I just want to make sure I pick the right brand and I don't know enough anymore :/ I want whatever the fastest it can support that's not crazy expensive idk if anything matters besides the ddr3 I feel like the max each slot can take is 8gb but not positive on that. Any help appreciated would love to get some new bigger faster ram in there :)

Last edited:

lazerline19

thanks looks like from factory it came with 2 cards one 8gb and one 4gb. I will swap them, for 2 new 8gb each per slot just curious is there a way to get better performing ones than oem or is ram ram? Sorry again I know this question could easily get me teared to shreds but if there is better performing deff want threm :)

AlienMenace

Well, the link I posted has better timing than what John posted. But not by much. having 12 Gb in the computer already is pretty good.

beers

Staff member
You won't gain much from spending in that situation. What factors made you decide that more ram was the answer?

Id probably roll the same amount of money aside for a newer build than dropping a comparatively significant amount for a 4gb increase.

lazerline19

You won't gain much from spending in that situation. What factors made you decide that more ram was the answer?

Id probably roll the same amount of money aside for a newer build than dropping a comparatively significant amount for a 4gb increase.
yeah I figured that I always wanted to maximize the ram and its pretty cheap figured max it out and then I wanted to see since its been a while since I was into PC's if maybe there was a superior brand type etc when I do it brand and performance wise. I don't mind spending the little bit of money to maximize the ram I actually wanted to since I got the tower just never got around to it. Also thanks to everyone for the help means a lot to me you guys rock :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check your ram usage using task manager when doing the most heaviest thing and see how much is being used. If you aren't using close to 80 percent then you don't need more.