anyway to completely transfer everything from old hd to new hd?

speshuled

im in the market to change out the hd in my laptop to a larger and faster hd. i was wondering if there is anyway to transfer everything from my old hd to my new one? or what are the steps in doing such a task as getting a new hd?

ed

PC eye

banned
Most will point right at cloning software to make an image of the image of the current drive for burn to disk. The need for a clean install of Windows would be seen with a new larger drive going in. If you have a dvd burner you can create disk images containing the important files and plan a new copy of Windows. The other method would be using an external usb type housing for the old drive in order to manually copy files/folders onto the new one.

munkyeetr

You would use a disk imaging program like Acronis Disk Image or Norton Ghost to create an image of your current disk, then your would restore that image to your new HD.

speshuled

You would use a disk imaging program like Acronis Disk Image or Norton Ghost to create an image of your current disk, then your would restore that image to your new HD.

so by doing this i would not only have all my old files but also my programs?

PC eye

banned
Fpr creating a duplicate of everything on one drive you use a program for creating a compressed archive of everything for later expansion on a different drive. This counts more on going from one drive to a second identical drive like the same make and size to see any working results. If you have an 80gb ide drive at the present time and try this on a 250gb sata forget it. Using a image software for creating backup images is the smart to preserve data while planning a clean install of Windows and programs on the new "larger sized" drive you plan to use.