Apple hardware fails to access internet?

Gordon.C

So check this.

My apple hardware - Mac Mini and iPhone 6 plus suddenly started to have problems connecting to many websites and servers.

This issues happens 90% of the time resulting in not getting absolutely anything back from servers (blank page loading forever) websites such as Facebook, Google.
Same happens even within apps such as App Store, Vine, Instagram.
Mac OS Mail program fails to receive emails from some servers completely, from other server such as google very slowly.

I thought my wifi router went rogue, but any other PC or Android connected to the same Wifi has not decreased in performance nor shown a single instance of similar issue.

Any ideas what to check?

--

P.S. I posted this message through my Mac Mini. This forum works properly for me, yet trying to open Google or many other website fails to work right now.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I am not very familiar with the Mac OS so I am not sure where in the GUI can I find this so search for your terminal, open the terminal and run ifconfig which will show your network information. Please post output, thanks.

Gordon.C

I am not very familiar with the Mac OS so I am not sure where in the GUI can I find this so search for your terminal, open the terminal and run ifconfig which will show your network information. Please post output, thanks.

Code:
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
    options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
    inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
    inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
    inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
    nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=10b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_HWTAGGING,AV>
    ether 3c:07:54:63:d9:75
    media: autoselect (none)
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    ether 68:a8:6d:59:3f:e9
    inet6 fe80::6aa8:6dff:fe59:3fe9%en1 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x5
    inet 192.168.0.101 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
    media: autoselect
en2: flags=963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
    options=60<TSO4,TSO6>
    ether b2:00:1f:15:5e:61
    media: autoselect <full-duplex>
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
    lladdr a4:b1:97:ff:fe:f1:55:e6
    media: autoselect <full-duplex>
p2p0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2304
    ether 0a:a8:6d:59:3f:e9
    media: autoselect
bridge0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
    options=63<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,TSO4,TSO6>
    ether 3e:07:54:36:e8:00
    Configuration:
        id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 hellotime 0 fwddelay 0
        maxage 0 holdcnt 0 proto stp maxaddr 100 timeout 1200
        root id 0:0:0:0:0:0 priority 0 ifcost 0 port 0
        ipfilter disabled flags 0x2
    member: en2 flags=3<LEARNING,DISCOVER>
            ifmaxaddr 0 port 6 priority 0 path cost 0
    media: <unknown type>

beers

Staff member
What are you using for the DNS on your router?

Try forcing your Mac to use other name servers like 8.8.8.8 and test again.

I'd blame IPv6 but you only have a link local address :p

Gordon.C

What are you using for the DNS on your router?

Try forcing your Mac to use other name servers like 8.8.8.8 and test again.

I'd blame IPv6 but you only have a link local address :p

Why is this happening though? There are times when my Mac Mini works properly and not my iPhone.

I mean this is very odd behaviour.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Are you intentially running IPv6? If so may I ask why? I could argue IPv6 on a large scale network but I am assuming this is a home network?

Gordon.C

Are you intentially running IPv6? If so may I ask why? I could argue IPv6 on a large scale network but I am assuming this is a home network?

yes this is home network. This is how I run things. I push the button on the side and wait if the internet loads up :) I dont temper with system or network.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Sorry for the late response, just been thinking about the issue. Can you go back into your terminal and run this command and give me output again. I want to see your DNS servers in your config.

cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver

Gordon.C

Sorry for the late response, just been thinking about the issue. Can you go back into your terminal and run this command and give me output again. I want to see your DNS servers in your config.

cat /etc/resolv.conf | grep nameserver

It said:
nameserver 192.168.0.1

The weird thing is that my iPhone is almost completely unusable by this problem. I cant load App Store or Instagram on my home network using iPhone. Anywhere else no problem.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Well you could run a a sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
At this point you would want to delete the 192.168.0.1 and input what was mentioned above of 8.8.8.8 and once done in nano you will want to hit ctrl + x and save changes. See if that helps if not I would repeat the steps and put in your DNS pointer you originally had of 192.168.0.1. If that does fix your problem I would say something is wrong with your router despite the fact the Windows and Android devices are not having problems.

If that does not fix the issue then I am assuming you have some nasty Unix malware. Many will argue it does not exist but I beg to differ on the subject and despite popular belief OS X and iOS share many similarities at the kernel level so I have read.

Have you tried resetting the devices?

Gordon.C

Well you could run a a sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
At this point you would want to delete the 192.168.0.1 and input what was mentioned above of 8.8.8.8 and once done in nano you will want to hit ctrl + x and save changes. See if that helps if not I would repeat the steps and put in your DNS pointer you originally had of 192.168.0.1. If that does fix your problem I would say something is wrong with your router despite the fact the Windows and Android devices are not having problems.

If that does not fix the issue then I am assuming you have some nasty Unix malware. Many will argue it does not exist but I beg to differ on the subject and despite popular belief OS X and iOS share many similarities at the kernel level so I have read.

Have you tried resetting the devices?

I figured out a hard reset on the router should do the trick. At first I wanted to check if the router has perhaps blacklisted some devices, I didnt find any such list so the hard reset did it. Works fine now for both apple devices.

Thank you for help

beers

Staff member
Swapping DNS to some other public reference should prevent this in the future. If you hand out 8.8.8.8 as DNS via DHCP then the requests won't even go to your router and you don't depend on the availability of that service to forward all of your DNS requests out to the Internet anyway.