Apple Smart Phone 4s

Geoff

VIP Member
Usually smart phones will last around 2-3 years. With Apple, phones get slower after each OS update, and with Android after 1-2 years many phones stop getting updates all together. Batteries don't last forever, so after more charges and discharges the battery lasts shorter and shorter.

The iPhone 4S is 3.5 years old, so it's definitely seeing the end of it's life.

beers

Staff member
How long are these phones supposed to last?

Until they die :D

Most crap out from user accidents, as stated above the 4s is getting pretty dated at this point.

If it still does what you need it to do without taking complete ages then no big deal though.

The 4s was included in iOS 8 marketing slides so you should still get updates for a while at least.

Geoff

VIP Member
The iPhone 4S had numerous reports of being bogged down after iOS 8, which makes sense as the hardware remains static while Apple adds more and more features, which use more resources. If it's just a performance issue, you can try a factory reset and set it up as a new phone without restoring from a backup, and turn off transparency.

Darren

Staff member
I haven't seen any iPhone 4S in the past year or so that is in favorable operating condition. All of them are just the most sluggish piece of hardware I've used in a long time. I have several friends that still have theirs and they just crawl and bog on every single operation. If you got one now you'd want a clean factory reset.

I'd never expect more than 3 years out of a smarthphone.

spirit

Staff member
My friend has still got one and I think it is still working OK for her but she may have not upgraded to iOS 8 because of the stories of it slowing the 4S down.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
My home button finally gave out on mine. I've had mine for three years. It was temporarily repaired a few weeks ago and it is acting up again. So time to get a new one.

Previous phone was a 3g in '09. Three years between phones is better than most.

The last few OS upgrades have been a struggle for my 4s. It became noticeably slower.

Last edited: