Apple Support?

So Apple will release ios 15 for the iphone 6s; does that mean that Apple will officially support the 6s into the foreseeable future?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As of this report back in January, they believed IOS 15 was gonna be dropped for the 6s.

So you can probably assume that ios 15 will be the last upgrade for that model, its 5 generations old at this point since there was no Iphone 9.

Darren

Staff member
Sorry about that; but what I’m trying to ask is having the latest ios also mean that Apple still fully supports your iphone?
Based on that list, it's supported.

How well it actually works, is another matter, or if it includes software gimping to prompt you to upgrade. That's a whole discussion on its own.

I wouldn't expect you to get the next major OS version.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What I am trying to say is will Apple give the same TLC to say an iphone 12 as it would to an iphone 6s?
Quick answer is gonna be no. Unless you have apple care for that device. At least with apple you continue to get IOS updates for at least 4 to 5 versions. With Android you only get about 2 before they stop receiving updates. My s8 plus only got 2 before they stopped. Now I have the s20 plus. I could have kept the s8 but just wanted to upgrade to a 5g phone.

beers

Staff member
What I am trying to say is will Apple give the same TLC to say an iphone 12 as it would to an iphone 6s?
They aren't really incentivized to do so though.

You upgrading makes them more money. They're a publicly traded, for-profit organization after all.

They aren't really incentivized to do so though.

You upgrading makes them more money. They're a publicly traded, for-profit organization after all.
It seems to me like Apple has gone up and beyond in terms of long term support for their phones. My next phone will definitely be an iphone; probably an iphone SE 2nd generation.

lucasbytegenius

I have noticed Apple supports their hardware longer than other popular manufacturers do. For example, macOS Monterey will support some Macs from 2013 and 2014.