are all ethernet cables different?

adam3112

i brought a 10 mtre Ethernet cable so my xbox 360 could reach the router and when i do a connection test the MTU fails. Have i got the wrong cable or what?:confused:

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Actually it seems like a defective cable, because most routers will see that its a crossover if its suppose to be a straight through, and it will just reverse it on the router end.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Many routers and switches will reverse the cable, but I have seen a few new ones that won't.

The easiest way to check is to simply look on the end. If each of the wires are in the same order on each end, then it's straight though. If the patterns are different from each other, than it's probably cross-over.

If your router has a specific cross-over port(or one that can be converted by a button/switch) Try connecting to that.

adam3112

I'm unsure what you all mean by cross-over wires etc but the cable's wires are coloured in order orange, white, blue, white, green, white brown on each end of the cable. For some reason xbox live requires a minimum of 1364 MTU but when i looked on my router settings it was displayed as 1500. The cable is is also a CAT5E Patch lead??? any ideas??:confused:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
As long as each end matches up, it shouldn't be a problem with the cable. Try testing it on a computer(say to the router) If you're sure the cable's good, then it's just a problem with your settings.

explanation(laymans terms)

I'm unsure what you all mean by cross-over wires etc but the cable's wires are coloured in order orange, white, blue, white, green, white brown on each end of the cable. For some reason xbox live requires a minimum of 1364 MTU but when i looked on my router settings it was displayed as 1500. The cable is is also a CAT5E Patch lead??? any ideas??:confused:

as i understand it.... ethernet is a straght through lead to simply connect hardware A to hardware B

Crossover is the ability to send a signal in both directions which is why they are used in networking two pc's directly to each other for example.

adam3112

apparently, xbox live is down could this be the reason my xbox 360 won't fully reconize my router settings?

mrgeorgedude

u could probly try connecting the 10 eternet cords to your computer and see if you get internet that way. same basic thing as connecting to live...pretty sure anyways.