Are Hard Drive Coolers Worth It?

Burgerbob

Truth is, i think i have a defective WD... but it hasnt given me any hiccups yet, other than it seems to be slow sometimes. It runs that temp about 20secs after startup. Also, i have 5 case fans, one of which is blowing directly on the drive and into the cooler.

footballstevo75

I have 6 hd coolers, only use 3 of them, got them for 70% off at the closing compusa :D

they do keep the temps down for my hds, and yes they increase the general airflow of the case

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I had some on my raptors, but ended up ditching them as they made some rattlely noises. I forget what temps I got before and after, but I'd say they weren't worth it...

PC eye

banned
Truth is, i think i have a defective WD... but it hasnt given me any hiccups yet, other than it seems to be slow sometimes. It runs that temp about 20secs after startup. Also, i have 5 case fans, one of which is blowing directly on the drive and into the cooler.

When you first start any system the demand for power is the greatest as all hardwares installed go through the testing stages at post and the demand on the supply is increased for loading the OS as well. A slow access time can also be due to having a higher level of fragmentation of data or the sudden demand on power when more then one drive is installed. I know that one here! :eek: :p

I had some on my raptors, but ended up ditching them as they made some rattlely noises. I forget what temps I got before and after, but I'd say they weren't worth it...

Gee? I wish I did spend the extra on the Antec 900 case since I am still thinking about adding two more satas! The twin front 120mm fans look better then one 140mm while the two ides and two satas are well within a normal temp range. With the older style or compact cases like mini towers not having vents or front intake bringing in cooler air then the thought of hd coolers has some place there. But a well cooled case shouldn't have any need. If you see high temps in an air conditioned case for drives... ?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
ooh! darnit.... i bought a 11CFM one, the 30CFs sold out. ah well. and also found out: my HD at startup is like 25C, when idle at desktop 29C or less, when gaming around 36C

PC eye

banned
and noone has suggested a 478 cooleR?

Zalman and Artic Cooling are the prize winners for cpu cooling! :D In fact the same Zalman CNPS 9500 used on the AMD64 3500+ cpu will also go well on a Socket 478 model as well. http://www.xoxide.com/zalman-cnps9500-led-cooler.html

For a lower cost model if you are on a budget Zalman offers another model with the blue led lighted fan seen at http://www.xoxide.com/zalman-7000b-cu-led-cpu-cooler.html

You can price these models at the vendors you usually go to.