Are password-protected GAME files infected?

Stereoeggs

Hello, all....

I think my Windows 7 (64 bit Pro) computer may be infected with a virus or other malware due to strange behavior.

After running a free copy of Kaspersky Security Scan, the report it generated said I have over 120 password-protected files that it suggested may be infected with a virus or other malware. Most of the files listed are game files, and part of just one game I have loaded on my computer...and most of those password-protected files are of the type "map_014.dat" where the number "014" changes, however, it appears that not all of the numbered "map".dat files were found by Kaspersky to be password-protected.

I have a number of games loaded on my computer, yet Kaspersky only found some of the files in this one game to be password-protected. Does this mean that these files are likely infected? ...And should I just delete and reinstall the entire game? Do game developers often password-protect only some game files but not all of them?

Does anyone have any advice as to what, if anything, I should do about the other, non-game files that Kaspersky listed as "password-protected"...which would not be as easy to just delete and "reinstall"?

Thanks for any help or advice.

beers

Staff member
Does the number increase if you run another scan?

Certain 'ransomware' like crypto locker will encrypt a lot of your files and then demand payment for the decryption key.

Stereoeggs

Thanks for your response...good information to keep in mind.

It turns out that the "strange behavior" exhibited by my computer was being caused by a failing power supply...apparently no malware was involved.

Thanks again for your help.

Punk

Staff member
Failing Power Supply password protecting files?

What game was it? Are the files still password protected?