Are people still building their own computer?

ssal

I went in B&H's website and search for "Nvidia Geforce graphic card" and every medium to high end card are out of stock. There are some low end cards available at a price at least 3x what it was a year ago. In Amazon.com there are some card available but the price are outrageous.

What was a $200 budget a year ago now is $500 to $1,000+ for the graphic card.

Are people still building their own computer at that price?

beers

Staff member
I sold my desktop components at the inflated market rate for this faster laptop, seems to be a common trend with some people.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I went in B&H's website and search for "Nvidia Geforce graphic card" and every medium to high end card are out of stock. There are some low end cards available at a price at least 3x what it was a year ago. In Amazon.com there are some card available but the price are outrageous.
Global chip shortage. The price of stuff like laptops and video cards have skyrocketed due to scarcity of parts and global supply chain issues.

beers

Staff member
The price of stuff like laptops and video cards
I think the mining craze was a large contributor compounded with COVID which compounded resource availability.

Laptops, however, aren't too bad on the gouging or availability sides. You can get a ROG G15 AMD Strix for $1500, which is huge value ;)
Although RTX based ones have seen somewhat limited availability.

ssal

I have a MSI graphic cards which I paid $120 a year ago but it's selling for $450+ this day if you can find one. It has a 3 year warranty. I wonder if it went bad, would they be able to replace it for me?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have a MSI graphic cards which I paid $120 a year ago but it's selling for $450+ this day if you can find one. It has a 3 year warranty. I wonder if it went bad, would they be able to replace it for me?
Only if the manufacturer has it in stock or something comparable.

ssal

I built mine about two years ago and build another one for my friend a year later. I was hoping for upgrade for mine. But now, I am just crossing my fingers that these builts will last until the shortage is over in a couple of years.

ssal

Just tried again in B&H's website. Punched in Nvidia Gefore RTX to check price and availability.
Prices are 3x or more than pre-crisis era, and there is none available.

It's ironic that I keep getting AMD Ryzen update notice.

Can't build a computer without a decent GPU.
Can't build a computer with ultrageous price.

Any prediction when is GPU coming back down to earth?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Only when the chip shortage is taken care of, which nobody can predict. I can't believe people are buying cards at these expensive prices.

jevery

I've got an 18 year old gamer that's been waiting over a year to update to a 3000 series card. We've been participating in Newegg's Shuffle hoping to get one, but no luck yet. I won't pay a scalper 2x MSRP, though, I am getting tired of waiting. To be fair I think at least half of the problem is mining.

beers

Staff member
Newegg's Shuffle
Man, those are basically scalper rates, including the fact they force you to purchase a random bundle product they couldn't sell by themselves.

I have been looking to get my wife a new card for VR but the market is pretty terrible. Her RX560 is okay in a non-VR environment but I'm glad the Quest 2 has its own internal compute in the interim. Hopefully China banning crypto tanks it enough where the mining demand isn't there anymore, but I'm not holding my breath.