are saved passwords on your browser safe

selenarusso

is it possible for people to hack your browser and get your saved passwords and such over the internet? not concerning if they physically have your computer on hand. right now i use keepass but its kind of a slight hassle.

Okedokey

The answer would have to be yes, but probable, no, easy no, likely no. But possible, yes.

Kesava

The answer would have to be yes, but probable, no, easy no, likely no. But possible, yes.

Do I understand what you're saying? probably no, maybe yes, definitely no, possible, yes.

Check on a a online password site called Last pass.
https://lastpass.com/

+1 for Lastpass. I couldn't live without it. It's secure and reliable and I've never heard of anyone having an issue with it. It allows me to have a unique, secure, randomly generated 16+ character password for every website I use.

robina_80

internet explorer saves your passwords in the registry so if you know what to look for its easy to see someones passwords, chrome firefox are the same if you go to settings and passwords you can actually see all the passwords you have saved or remembered BUT firefox you can set a master password and if you set a master password its safe

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
EVERY SINGLE PASSWORD can be broken if you know how to do it. ;)
You do not even have to find out what the password is.You can always just remove it and VIOLA!

A great example would be a password for Windows user account which is stored in hash code.In many cases it is almost impossible to find out the password from hash code since you cannot undo the hash code UNLESS if the password is so damn simple like "123" lol.So if the password is long and contains many different characters of ANY type,you cannot find out that password from the hash code.In that case you just delete the hash code and there you go...now there is NO password like it never was there in the first place and VIOLA!You can now login in the Windows user account and IF YOU WANT put your own NEW password...of course...IF you want lol.

I for example use a lot more complicated protections for my software which I am developing...and yes it does include HASH,but together with the hash it includes MANY other things too...such as encrypted hash using many encryption types,my own,hardware scanning and a lot more.In short...PASSWORD is just STEP 1 in my entire PROTECTION PROCEDURE. ;)
(Yea I do overreact a lot I know lol :D)!

So when I see so poor password protections like the one in Firefox,I just can't believe how easy it is to break those MASTER PASSWORDS.Since when people hear/read those words "MASTER PASSWORD",they automatically think that it is so damn secure...,but it's not.Sure there ARE master passwords which are designed GOOD and are well made and protected,but the one from Firefox is NOT good at all. ;)
Hell I can break those "MASTER PASSWORDS" in BIOS if you want so doing the same thing inside of Windows is a peace of cake lol.

Unless if you do something crazy as I do lol...,but EVEN THEN you can always decompile a software and see the password or simply delete that part of the code,compile it back and VIOLA!No more password(s) is/are required lol. :D
Of course doing that is not easy if you are not really 100% sure that you know what you are doing.

selenarusso

so i guess an external source like keepass is the safest then? im not so sure how comfortable i would be storing my passwords on a cloud storage with lastpass.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Honestly...I would NEVER EVER store any of my passwords on ANY kind of online storage areas such as Cloud since I am not their original owner.And EVEN if I am,I still wouldn't do it since "bad" hackers (there are good ones too) are all around us and they like steling things like these.So if you want your sensitive data to be really secured,first never store it ANYWHERE online.Second...well we can talk a lot about this step.For you...simple encryption of all your passwords would be more than enough for you UNLESS if you have some VERY important informations (data) from places like Pentagon,CIA,Area 51 or something similar.Well...lol...in that case you must be crazy and do what I do lol...,but let's not talk about that now. :D

Okedokey

Do I understand what you're saying? probably no, maybe yes, definitely no, possible, yes.

+1 for Lastpass. I couldn't live without it. It's secure and reliable and I've never heard of anyone having an issue with it. It allows me to have a unique, secure, randomly generated 16+ character password for every website I use.

No, what im saying is that to the OPs question, Yes, however

Is it probable, no
Is it likely, no
Is it easy, no
Is it possible, yes.

Quite straight forward.