Are Seagate Hard drives good?

robertclooney

I want to buy a good and quality hard drive for my PC and I found this. What's your take on this?

Seagate ST600MM0109 600 GB Hard Drive

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren

Staff member
You're wanting to spend 6.5 grand on a 600GB Hard Drive? You can get 1TB 10K RPM drives on Amazon for $60Also that website seems... suspicious.

To your question. Any company can make good and bad products. Seagate's been in the hard drive game a long time and many of their models are great. Some, particularly the 2TB+ sizes of the early 2010's were known for problems. My 1TB Barrucuda I first installed in September 2011 is still running in the exact machine I type this on now. Research based on specific model statistics, not brand allegiance. I'd apply that to really any product too.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
According to that link, that price is for a 40 pack of drives. so basically it would be $164 a drive. You can buy a drive off Newegg, Amazon or even your local electronics store as its not gonna make a difference. As Darren as said, that website is a little odd and I wouldn't buy from there.

Darren

Staff member
According to that link, that price is for a 40 pack of drives. so basically it would be $164 a drive. You can buy a drive off Newegg, Amazon or even your local electronics store as its not gonna make a difference. As Darren as said, that website is a little odd and I wouldn't buy from there.
That partially explains the price but yeah that whole website gives me bad vibes. I dug into the company and they're some tiny office in California. Just how clunky and slow the website is, I wouldn't even try it.

beers

Staff member
SAS drives aren't going to function in your consumer PC by default. You can run SATA drives off of a SAS controller but not the other way around.

At that capacity you might as well just buy SATA SSD or NVME if you have a compatible slot.