Are there new IP addresses?

My whole life, IP addresses looked like this...

Now, they look like this?

2001:db8:0:1234:0:567:8:1

Was there some update in the technology?

Okay, I see this is IPv6 instead of IPv4.

But then why do who.is results come up with an IPv4 number? And apparently, I have a IPv4 as well as an IPv6?

And I have a few other questions about IP addresses if you don't mind answering.

How do I find my own IP address?
What is the best way to find IP addresses of other websites? (the only way I know is ping in cmd).

How come some IP addresses in ping come up as IPv4 and some IPv6?
How come if I type the IP that I get from ping into a browser, it doesn't bring me to that website?

I used a visual traceroute I found online (monitis.com). What are the computers in between? Do these computers belong to ISP's, or are they regular computers like yours or mine?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you have both technically. They came out with IPV6 for the simple reason they ran out of IPV4 addresses. You can use any one of many IP websites that will tell you your IP address once the page loads. For example https://whatismyipaddress.com/

How come if I type the IP that I get from ping into a browser, it doesn't bring me to that website?
Most of the time it doesn't work like that. That IP could be hosting many different websites from my understanding.

Agent Smith

Some hosts have shared hosting. Which means more than one website is hosted on the same IP address. Other times you aren't allowed to go directly to the website via the IP address. It will just 403. And to make matters worse, some website IPs don't allow pings as this is a vulnerability called ping of death. But there are other DOS abilities, oh there are. MUHAHAHA

beers

Staff member
Okay, I see this is IPv6 instead of IPv4.
Yep
How do I find my own IP address?
https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+my+ip
How come some IP addresses in ping come up as IPv4 and some IPv6?
Depends on the destination, some services only listen on IPv4. Some are dual stack and offer both. Some resources only resolve as IPv6.
Similar to what Agent Smith was getting at, a lot of web hosts have a 'virtual host' component where they forward you based on the DNS name you used to arrive there within the HTTP request. Therefore you can have a slew of different sites behind a single IP, but browsing to the IP itself won't present you with the same page.