Are there such things as computer junkyards?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I'm interested in gettin old computers and repair them for pure fun, so I was wondering if there were any "computer" junkyards where you can get free computers? In Texas? thanks! (Oh yes, dont care if its a 286 or 386 computer junkyard either)

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Me too =) But I've seen pictures of MOUNTAINS of old decomissioned computers... Ive heard that arond every year they buy new computers, last time I heard someone (i think on this forum) get P4! And recycling centers... do they have any pcs?

wizle

I work at one,but that is what we o with them. Then we donate them to schools and churches around the world.

Irishwhistle

If there is a radio station near you with a trading post try calling in. I got three old computers that way (Dell Optiplex GX1, Dell Optiplex GX100, and Gateway 4DX2-66) for $40. I'm not sure about free though.

~Jordan

Iluvpenguins

In Canada,electronics are disposed of specially(computers incl.) so there is "computer" junkyards in a sense,how/where they are,it beats me,probably beside the nearest garbage dump.

elitehacker

In Australia you just leave it out on the street during specified periods during the year and the council takes it away to be recycled and stuff like that.

Me too =) But I've seen pictures of MOUNTAINS of old decomissioned computers... Ive heard that arond every year they buy new computers, last time I heard someone (i think on this forum) get P4! And recycling centers... do they have any pcs?

I struck gold with an abandoned server at my school last Summer, 2Gb DDR 400 RAM. I have found some P3's and some Celerons, I really like taking the HDD's. I took some RD RAM last time and have found no use for it. The IT guy says that they are just going to be recycled, and take what I will. I have also found a 17" Gateway monitor and a local biz, that I do some work for, just happened to want an LCD. When I found it, the stand had been broken off and it worked great. I put a monitor arm on it and it has worked fine. Sold it to them for $40.