are these 2 boards pretty good?

spirit

Staff member
Save the money and get the Maximus. Both are good boards, I don't see why you'd pay more for the Sabertooth though when the Maximus is already a good board.

kdfresh09

i said ineded to get both a matx, as well as a atx. these are the 2 im thinking of getting. reread my original ost please

kdfresh09

1 reply out of over 40? on such a basic question...really? what happende dto this forum? it turned out to be pretty lame so far. BUMP

wolfeking

banned
Personally I wouldn't have either. And you have to wait sometimes to get help. Its a forum. There are members that are good with different things and you can't just say 40 people viewed this, no one helped. it will say you got a view even if it is a unregistered visitor that looks at it.

They are fine boards, but I would not use either one. Look at the Gigabyte line. Asus does not have good support at all.

kdfresh09

thanks for the input. any other opinins would be appreciated. i was looking at the gigabyte line, like the ud5h, which is nice, but im not too sure if i can put a 256gig msata ssd in the msata slot on that board and be able to install wondows on it and boot from it. i dont like any of there matx boards though, not evn the sniper board. it just seems that the fatality from asrock or the asus maximus v gene is alot better than any gigabyte matx board right now, plus i cant get the discount on any brand other than asus.

wolfeking

banned
You will not get a good SSD on the msata. It is limited to the SATA II standard. Yu would get much better performance cheaper on a 2.5" SATA III drive.

If you want Asus they are fine, but Gigabyte is a better board.

Laquer Head

I can only offer 50% opinion here..

A buddy of mine has the maximus and loves it, seems like a tight little board, packed with features..

Any discount on it--I'd scoop it up for sure!!

kdfresh09

well i already have the msata ssd. its 256gig 550mb/s read and 540mb/s write, sata 6. i had to get it cause it was only 75 bucks through discounts and whatnot. i was watching the asus guy on a video with the maxumus board, and he says in the video that the msata in linked through the z77 chipset, and will act like another sata 6 port, and that i can boot and instll windows right onto it, without having to have any other drive hooked up to the sata ports. so i think im going to go with the asus maximus for sure, so far, since i can grap it for 175. seems like a legit deal to me. alot of those gigabyte boards have lower power phases, (4+2)...id like to keep it above that, so the maximus should be a bit more solid for overclocking too. im not sure about the ud5 vs sabertooth though. they are about the same price, since i can get the sabertooth for $190. need to think a bit more, and get some more feedback. thanks again

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
hmm... did not know they were SATA3. I have always herd them stated as SATA 2 on the newegg unboxings/reviews. And that was a legit deal on the drive.

I don't think the power phase is all that really. I was promised 8+4 phase, but its actually at most 8+2+2 and according to the ASrock Extreme Tuner, I never get above 4 phase utilization. :(

kdfresh09

hhmmm. i just placed my order for the maximus. i need to think about the ud5h vs the sabertooth for a bit longer though. i think ill be pretty happy with the maximus. my customer needs to be happy as well, so i need to get one of these boards. so far im leaning towards the sabertooth.

StrangleHold

Staff member
I don't think the power phase is all that really. I was promised 8+4 phase, but its actually at most 8+2+2 and according to the ASrock Extreme Tuner, I never get above 4 phase utilization. :(

The larger power phase is for a reason. Chokes are either on or off, the longer they are on the hotter they get and are less efficient. The more chokes you have, the less time each one is on. Which means they run cooler and more efficient. You can disable power phase throttling in the bios so they are all working even when not under a load.

kdfresh09

stranglehold........so are you saying that i should look in the bios and look to turn of power phase throttling? would this make for a more stable overclock? and will this create moe heat, since they will all be on, all the time?

Last edited:

Okedokey

I love it how you say "No more ASUS" and you have an ASRock board yourself which is an ASUS - ASRock is part of ASUS.

ASUS' boards are fine. Never had an issue.

I have had two DOA in the last year. Never again for me.

StrangleHold

Staff member
stranglehold........so are you saying that i should look in the bios and look to turn of power phase throttling? would this make for a more stable overclock? and will this create moe heat, since they will all be on, all the time?

Talking Overclocking. No it doesnt create more heat, they actually run cooler. Each choke is either on or off. Look at it this way. You have 5 chokes for the CPU vs. having 10. In the 5 choke system, each one is on twice as much as the 10 choke system. Chokes work in cycles of off and on. The more each one is on the hotter it is and the less efficient it is.

Okedokey

Talking Overclocking. No it doesnt create more heat, they actually run cooler. Each choke is either on or off. Look at it this way. You have 5 chokes for the CPU vs. having 10. In the 5 choke system, each one is on twice as much as the 10 choke system. Chokes work in cycles of off and on. The more each one is on the hotter it is and the less efficient it is.

Doesn't quite work that way, but i get what you mean ;)