Are USB hubs with more or fewer ports better?

Mateo1041

I'm looking to purchase a new USB hub as I've run out of ports on my current one. I would ideally like the new hub to have more than 4 ports so that I only need one hub on my desk that takes up less space. Yet I've heard that too many ports can be a bad thing.

1) Is that true?

2) Is anyone able to recommend a cost-effective, higher port device with good profile that reduces clutter? Stackable might be awesome if that's a good route to go. Looking for advice here!

Thanks!

- Matt

Geoff

VIP Member
I believe the only issue you would have is if you were using all the ports on a hub at the same time, since all devices will be communicating on one USB port the speed will be drastically cut down, especially if you have for instance an iPod, flash drive, etc. plugged in and being used at the same time. Also if you get a hub with more then a few USB ports it will most likely need to have an external power source (AC) as well.

Mateo1041

Thanks. External power source is not a problem, but speed is. Here's what I'm looking to connect, either to the laptop itself (3 ports available) or a hub:

1) External hard drive
2) External hard drive
3) External hard drive
4) External hard drive
5) Printer
6) Mouse
7) Keyboard
8) Bluetooth
9) Need a port open for period stuff like my BlackBerry

Taking this into account, is my best option the following?

Laptop port #1: External hard drive
Laptop port #2: External hard drive
Laptop port #3: USB hub
USB hub #1, port #1: External hard drive
USB hub #1, port #2: Printer
USB hub #1, port #3: Mouse
USB hub #1, port #4: Keyboard
USB hub #2, port #1: External hard drive
USB hub #2, port #2: Bluetooth
USB hub #2, port #3: Open
USB hub #2, port #4: Open

tremmor

im doing something similar. i have at least 16 usb's. Not all activated at the same time. don't need to. Printer, scanner, external drive, Nikon coolscan microdrive, digital camara. etc. running duel 24" monitors, two internal hd's and 4 duel layer burners. never been a problem though.

Geoff

VIP Member
Thanks. External power source is not a problem, but speed is. Here's what I'm looking to connect, either to the laptop itself (3 ports available) or a hub:

1) External hard drive
2) External hard drive
3) External hard drive
4) External hard drive
5) Printer
6) Mouse
7) Keyboard
8) Bluetooth
9) Need a port open for period stuff like my BlackBerry

Taking this into account, is my best option the following?

Laptop port #1: External hard drive
Laptop port #2: External hard drive
Laptop port #3: USB hub
USB hub #1, port #1: External hard drive
USB hub #1, port #2: Printer
USB hub #1, port #3: Mouse
USB hub #1, port #4: Keyboard
USB hub #2, port #1: External hard drive
USB hub #2, port #2: Bluetooth
USB hub #2, port #3: Open
USB hub #2, port #4: Open
I would say that is the best option. Keep in mind that if you are transferring data from one external hard drive to another that will slow speeds down as well, especially when using ones that are on the same hub. Another option if your laptop supports it is to get a USB add-on card that plugs into your PCMCIA / ExpressCard slot and can give you 4 or more USB ports.

Mateo1041

[-0MEGA-];1220589 said:
I would say that is the best option. Keep in mind that if you are transferring data from one external hard drive to another that will slow speeds down as well, especially when using ones that are on the same hub. Another option if your laptop supports it is to get a USB add-on card that plugs into your PCMCIA / ExpressCard slot and can give you 4 or more USB ports.

I do have a PCMCIA slot. Thanks for the idea! Generally speaking, is an expansion PCMCIA slot a better option (faster) than a USB hub?

Zatharus

VIP Member
I do have a PCMCIA slot. Thanks for the idea! Generally speaking, is an expansion PCMCIA slot a better option (faster) than a USB hub?

Yes. A hub just splits the available port bandwidth out to multiple devices. You are still limited by that USB bus' bandwidth. A second USB bus controller, like the PC card in this case, will give you another pipeline.

Mateo1041

Yes. A hub just splits the available port bandwidth out to multiple devices. You are still limited by that USB bus' bandwidth. A second USB bus controller, like the PC card in this case, will give you another pipeline.

Great. Thanks! Looks like I'll probably go the PCMCIA route then. I'll then be all set.