ARGH!! WTF!! First Boot gone BAD!!!

panther05

I tried to boot my computer for the first time today.

Here's what happened...

I turn power on,
Three quick beeps

then a screen comes on with the following text:

-------------

Keyboard/Interface Error
No Keyboard Detected!
CMOS Settings Wrong
Overlocking Failed Please enter Setup to re-configure your sustem
Chassis intruded!
Fatal Error . . . system halted!

-------------

what does this mean???

I made sure to check the keyboard was plugged in, however, it's a "e-machines'' keyboard that came with my old computer, so do I have to buy a "universal" one?

And is everything ok? I'm a bit scared that the message is saying there's a hardware problem.

HELP ME OUT QUICK!!!

THANKS!

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
most of the time, when the computer boots up, its either "DEL" F2 or ESC then read the instructions on how to save and exit

EDIT. btw is this the first time youve ever booted the computer or the first time today

panther05

oh ok, I think I know what you mean...like right before the screen comes up, a screen says something about pressing delet to start set up..(i think)....but the keyboard doesnt seem to work :( I tried to different ones already

but both originally came with the Desktop, so maybe thats why they won't work on my new PC

Edit: Yes, first time ever.

panther05

yea they do....but the keyboards were the original ones that came witht he computer (compaq and emachines).....arn't they all suppose to be universal?

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
i would of thought that yes. do you have any other keyboards you could try in the computer, it may be a possibility that the port isnt working

P11

VIP Member
if you have already treied with 2 keyboards buying another one wont solve the problem. It is most liekly a different problem causing the computer to have these errors.

speedyink

VIP Member
I dont know about keyboards, but mice that come with systems work on others. For example my Compaq mouse works on my IBM. Im sure its the same with keyboards. What brand of computer did you buy? You might have gotten a dud. I've had that happen to me before, just return it and tell them it doesnt work.

Charlie7940

What brand of computer did you buy?

This is a custom build computer (I assume by the title). But that does seem odd as the keyboard will not work. I'm using my dell's old keyboard on my custom pc and it works great.

panther05

ok i figured it out.....apparently the mobo (or CPU) i received from newegg had been used (a returned product) and the person who had it before I tried to overlock the computer (i'm guessing he failed thus returned it to newegg) I know this because I had someone I know check it for me. He's not a techician or anything, just really into PC building, but he didnt know anything about overlocking. He did mention something about reversing the overlock thing, to make it work.

Tomorrow or monday i'll be taking the computer to a professional and try to have them fix it. I'm really sad, i spent all my money on this just to figure out that some asshole messed up the mob and/or CPU and dumbasses at newegg decided to resell it.

I don't even know what to do if Best Buy (the place i'm taking it to) isn't able to fix it. I'm guessing it wont be so hard to return the mobo, but I don't know if I can return the CPU which is the most expensive part. Also, they'll be charging me 15% "restocking" fee which will end up costing about $45, not to mention shipping, all this inconveniece, weeks of delay, and headaches.

Could anyone help me out here. Not to fix it myself, but perhaps someone can give me self-assurance that this is not a big deal and that nothing is permantly damage to perhaps still have the option to keep the products without returning it. Also, keep in mind i'm not 100% about it being used, although I do vividly recall opening the Mobo box and the mobo was inside an anti-staic wrapping paper, but with no seal or anything.

thanks for all the help

Smokie Flame

Fixing an Overclock screw up is very hard and expisinsive. This is what you need to do before you take it to Geek Squad at Best Buy; Get the specs on the mobo, go to one of the many differant mobo/computer companies on the internet (Newegg excluded) and price the mobo. Unless it is a propriatory system you wont be looking at much more than $100-$150 for the mobo maybe even less if you are willing to get a cheap mobo with less features. Now if Best Buy fixes it it will be atleast $100 and you will always know you are using screwed with gear. I would rest better knowing I bought a mobo with a warrenty then spending my money to repair it and possibly have to repair it in the future.

P.S. The CPU should be fine UNLESS it is over heating while trying to power up. I would recommend turning it on and letting it beep or what ever it does for about 10 minutes then tear it apart and feel how hot the CPU is. Hot = BAD Warm = good. Overclocking always overheats the CPU unfortunitly so you always run a risk of damaging the CPU especially if it was screwed up. With the mobo only beeping 3 times tho would lead me to believe the CPU is not burned as the ones I have seen with burned CPUs beep repeatedly. Also if you do decide to take it to a shop dont take it to Best Buy, they charge way to much and there techs are always newbies out of school with no actually on hands knowladge, your best bet is to find the oldest shop that is private owned in your area and go to him. He has been around for awhile and obviusly has enough know how to stay in buisness and not screw over a customer like Best Buy will.

Last edited:

panther05

Smokie Flame said:
Fixing an Overclock screw up is very hard and expisinsive. This is what you need to do before you take it to Geek Squad at Best Buy; Get the specs on the mobo, go to one of the many differant mobo/computer companies on the internet (Newegg excluded) and price the mobo. Unless it is a propriatory system you wont be looking at much more than $100-$150 for the mobo maybe even less if you are willing to get a cheap mobo with less features. Now if Best Buy fixes it it will be atleast $100 and you will always know you are using screwed with gear. I would rest better knowing I bought a mobo with a warrenty then spending my money to repair it and possibly have to repair it in the future.

ok so does this mean the CPU is ok?

is it ok to remove CPU/heatsink, then swap the mobo, then place the cpu/heatsink back on....will the CPU suffer any performance lost in this. If it's no problem, i can focus all my energy in having this mobo replace, and making sure NEWEGG PAYS FOR ALL OF THIS MESS. I will take every action necessary too, i'm extremely pissed off and will take legal action if i have to. Ridicoulous!!! :mad:

panther05

Smokie Flame said:

P.S. The CPU should be fine UNLESS it is over heating while trying to power up. I would recommend turning it on and letting it beep or what ever it does for about 10 minutes then tear it apart and feel how hot the CPU is. Hot = BAD Warm = good. Overclocking always overheats the CPU unfortunitly so you always run a risk of damaging the CPU especially if it was screwed up. With the mobo only beeping 3 times tho would lead me to believe the CPU is not burned as the ones I have seen with burned CPUs beep repeatedly. Also if you do decide to take it to a shop dont take it to Best Buy, they charge way to much and there techs are always newbies out of school with no actually on hands knowladge, your best bet is to find the oldest shop that is private owned in your area and go to him. He has been around for awhile and obviusly has enough know how to stay in buisness and not screw over a customer like Best Buy will.

thanks a lot. Well as for the best buy. i work there, lol, so it'll be pratically free (we get at least %70 off labor stuff like car installation, PC repair)...but for computer diagnostic, I'm pretty sure it's free. I'm cool with the geek squad there.

but i been thinking...

i'm just going to return every single last thing back to newegg. The whole computer, besides the case and PSU which i purchased elsewhere.

I'm really not sure if anyone here has had experiences with returning products to newegg.

What i'm most worried about it the CPU. I've applied the thermal soultion and everything.....not to mention all the open packages and what not....oh well, it's their problem.

I aslo understand that they MAY charge up to 15% "restocking" fee which will hurt me, but I've done the calculations and I consider it a reasonable trade off, alhough, I will dispute that fee as much as possible, especially with this malfunctioning MOBO.

any words of advice?