ARP originating from desktop on network

Renzore101

Hello CF,

Wanted to get any possible input into what i am seeing as a potential security threat or malicious process. I ran a wireshark capture for a few minutes and sorting on protocol it appears the mac address of the nic of my desktop shows up in the ARP request querying for an ordered sequence of ip addresses on my local subnet. To me this seems like it could be some type of script or otherwise malicious activity?

beers

Staff member
Some apps will try to discover other hosts on your network with a unicast to each address, requiring an arp for each. Really just depends what software you're using. Do you see connection initiation/syn attempts on a particular service port?

I wouldn't be concerned about it unless you have other red flag factors.

Renzore101

Some apps will try to discover other hosts on your network with a unicast to each address, requiring an arp for each. Really just depends what software you're using. Do you see connection initiation/syn attempts on a particular service port?

I wouldn't be concerned about it unless you have other red flag factors.

I'll take a closer look at the pcap to see if I can see anything as your describing. i've been noticing on this machine pages are taking longer to load as well.

Winblows 10?

Si