Arrange icons by... in xp

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I have a huge number of documents that are named by numbers. The documents are pages of a large book and the number represents the page number of the pages from that documents in that book. And some of the documents contain more than one page.
For example, the following files: 365.doc and 138139.doc are pages 365 and 138-139. If I select "Arrange icons by name" in XP the file 365.doc appears before 138139.doc (since the number 365 < number 138139). In most OSs the folder listing would be ok, since the files would be sorted ascending by the first character, then by the second and so on.
Is there a setting in XP to sort correctly these files?

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
Thanks a lot! It's working!
In fact the solution is unchecking that option...
But why that option appeared in XP? Anyone find the "Intuitive filename sorting" useful?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
In fact the solution is unchecking that option...
Close enough! :D Heehee

Anyone find the "Intuitive filename sorting" useful?
I have mine enabled and I honestly dont notice a difference (then again all my files that have numbers have the same "naming convention" with leading zeros as to avoid that problem) heehee

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
These filenames also have leading zeros, my problem came from the multiple page documents: their filename is the beginning page number and end page number concatenated without a separating character. This is very odd, but it wasn't me who named them, the files were created on a Mac. And the IQ of a Mac-user equals the number of mouse buttons...