Arris Surfboard SVG2482ac Will Not Block Device

I would like to block a desktop computer in my home from accessing the internet. I go to Parental controls to block a specific device, but even though the name of the computer shows, the MAC address is different from what it appears as in the settings on the computer. I click on the computer name anyway, block it from access, but it still has internet access. In fact, I tried blocking a different desktop computer, with the correct name and MAC address showing under parental controls, and it wasn’t blocked either. This seems like it should be a very easy thing to do. What could be going wrong?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm reading it right from Settings from the computer. Where else could it be found?
Open a command prompt. Type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and hit enter. You'll then see a list of entries. You need the physical address number for the connection you have.

example

mac address.jpg

Open a command prompt. Type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and hit enter. You'll then see a list of entries. You need the physical address number for the connection you have.

example

View attachment 11405
Thanks for the help. Yes, the MAC address does now match what I see in Parental Controls. However, the computer is still not blocked from Internet Access. Why would this be?

Thanks for the help. Yes, the MAC address does now match what I see in Parental Controls. However, the computer is still not blocked from Internet Access. Why would this be?
If anyone would like to help, I still can't block certain computers on my network from accessing the Internet.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you show a screenshot of where you are in the modem? Does this pc have ethernet and wifi capability? If so, then you have to block both addresses.

Here's the screen shot.

I don't know if the computer (JakesComputer) has wifi or not, but I do know it currently uses a wired connection. With that said, I don't think blocking both wifi and the wired connection is the issue only because I have tried to block other laptops on the network that only use the wifi, and they are still allowed to access the Internet. Nothing seems to work.
Screen Shot.jpg

Mecoos

Smolenski7, I just decided to look at all of the devices connected to my password-required Arris modem to ensure there was nothing unexpected there. I found several devices I did not recognize and I tried to block them all. I even blocked one I actually wanted to keep, just to ensure it was working correctly. But I'm having the same problem as you! Though I block, they still continue to work! I have the same model as you. I went online to find help and found this tread. I'm about ready to contact Arris to find out why it isn't working as expected. Have you happened to have gotten it working?