Artifacting Issues

jonnyp11

Almost every game i play on this thing artifacts everywhere, especially nfs shift, just deleted the game it was so bad. Thoe only game not doing it seems to be nfs hot pursuit, while everything else (from ms flight to cs:source to an indie game called nimbus) does. This is running the integrated Radeon 3000 which performs fine other than the artifacting, and i have updated both from microsoft and off the amd site to no avail, device manager shows i'm on 8.93.7.0 (2/17/12). I'm wondering if this has something to do with windows 8? or what? Could an ssd or oc'ing the cpu do this?

spirit

Staff member
It could be Windows 8 Jonny, but I'd say overclocking the CPU has likely caused this, especially as you are using integrated graphics. Try putting your CPU back to stock (just load optimal or Fail Safe settings in the BIOS) and see if it's any better.

jonnyp11

thought only fsb oc'ing did stuff like this? i only used the multiplier, but will downclock it later to try anyways

spirit

Staff member
Well assuming the integrated graphics are on the CPU, like the Intel ones are, you are in theory also overclocking your GPU/onboard graphics as well as the CPU I think, so it may have some impact. Not sure about AMD's integrated graphics options so don't take my word for that.

I used to own NFS Shift on the PC, it's pretty demanding so I'm not surprised it doesn't run well on the integrated graphics. It may just be that, I'm not sure, but underclock your CPU and see if that helps. The CPU is overclocked on the stock cooler isn't it? It could be getting too hot and affecting your graphics chip.

wolfeking

banned
hd3000 he is talking about is a chipset graphics solution. overclocking should not have affected it at all. take an app like percision or afterburner and monitor the temps. you might simply be getting too hot.

jonnyp11

Also, Crysis refuses to launch, installed twice and only went to a black screen then crashed, so another indicator to OS issue wouldn't it be?

Okedokey

Is this a different computer to what is in your specs? If so use PC WIzard to post full specs please (and PSU)>

jonnyp11

AMD 960t @3.5Ghz
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P (HD3000 igpu)
8GB's (2x4GB) Kingston 1333mhz
OCZ Agility 3 60GB
Corsair tx750 (v1)
APEX Vortex 3620
Win 8 Consumer Preview (Build 8250)

Anything else?

Okedokey

Ok

Do you still get the artifacts without the overclock? I am thinking that your northbridge is probably smoking hot when gaming with an overclock, causing the artifacts.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but where is the HD3000 located, the gigabyte website doesn't refer to at all for your motherboard.

plutoniumman

The artifacts could be due to Windows 8, but who knows.

Increasing the CPU's core multiplier (and not the entire system via the FSB) shouldn't produce any artifacts. Not in your instance anyway, because your GPU is integrated with the motherboard instead of the CPU. An unstable CPU would typically cause strange [AI or physics] glitches in-game, or even more likely crash the game, before it'd cause graphics artifacts. ...So it's pretty uncommon for a CPU alone to cause this.

What kind of artifacts are you seeing? Does everything look fine, and then slowly start looking worse and worse? If so, it's most likely your GPU (contained within the northbridge) overheating. Find a way to cool it down, and your problem should go away.

Does it look bad right from the start? If so, it's likely that the VRAM (video memory) is bad. If this is the cause, your only option would be to replace the motherboard. Though I'd run a memory test (on both VRAM and RAM) before getting an exchange or something.

It's highly unlikely an SSD would produce this malfunction; it's only a medium for storing files.

Okedokey

^ Thats simply incorrect. IF the northbridge is overheating due to OC then it will cause artifacts. Simple.

wolfeking

banned
Also, excuse my ignorance, but where is the HD3000 located, the gigabyte website doesn't refer to at all for your motherboard.
his board has the AMD 760g chipset. http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/7-series-integrated/Pages/amd-760g-chipset.aspx says it is Raedon HD3000.

I would say drop the OC completely (just restore the BIOS to factory by removing teh CMOS battery) and see if it is any better. I don't think that the multiplier does anything to the northbridge, but it could be overheating due to processor heat being a Micro ATX.

jonnyp11

What are the TMPIN's in HWMonitor? While playing shift the cpu never hit 40, but TMPIN0 hit 40, 1 hit 49, 2 hit 54.

jonnyp11

well it's on stock right now

but it does have a nd setting which is at 2000mhz or something like that.

Last edited:

plutoniumman

^ Thats simply incorrect. IF the northbridge is overheating due to OC then it will cause artifacts. Simple.

Were you responding to me? I'm not sure I get ya. I mentioned that if the GPU is integrated in the NB, it'll cause artifacts when overheating. If it's outside of the NB, and the NB is overheating, it's much more likely you'll get a BSOD before you see artifacts.

In OPs case, his GPU is integrated in the NB, which I've already mentioned in my previous post.